Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365

Access User Group Meeting - Fri 17 Dec 2021

I am leading an Access user group meeting this FRIDAY! All are welcome. Hope you can make it.
    Topic: Controlling the Application Interface

Meeting page: https://accessusergroups.org/et/event/access-et-10/

DATE: Friday 17 December 2021
    TIME: 9:00 AM Eastern Time USA - 14:00 UK time (GMT)

This session will show how the Access application interface can be controlled in various ways including:
    a) show / hide navigation pane
    b) show / hide ribbon (& QAT)
    c) show / hide taskbar
    d) dim/blur/remove background
    e) show / hide entire Access application window
    f) maximise form to fill the entire screen (no title bar & no taskbar)
    g) drag a borderless form to a new position
    h) add rounded corners to forms
    i) form animation, transparency and fade (in/out)
    j) open reports with the application interface hidden (various methods)
    k) scrolling/flashing text
    l) add balloon tooltips (system tray notifications)

Some methods can help make a database more secure.

Although it is highly unlikely that any single application would ever need to use all those features, the session will show how each item can be toggled on / off independently without problems.
    All required code will be provided together with an example application demonstrating its use.

To join the meeting, on the date, go to
    https://accessusergroups.my.webex.c....b35aea62a0513f

NOTE: Join AS Guest
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Office 365
    As a diversion whilst preparing for my AUG session on Fri 17 Dec, I created the simple database attached
    It shows how one form can be used to remotely move another using a mouse move event.
    Now all I need to do is think of a use for it! Any ideas welcomed!

The session will include lots of practical examples you can use!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!

Ina is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    I missed your User Group Meeting you had on the 17th of December. Would you mind sending me a copy of what you did as I would like to know how it's done.
    Thank you in advance ��

Windows 10 Office 365
    The video is currently being edited and will be uploaded to You Tube in the next few days. I'll provide the link when its up.
    In the meantime, the content of the session is covered at these pages on my website.

1 Control the application interface
    2. Attention Seeking Database/4594398116.html

Each page also contains a link to the example database I used in the session.
    Hope that helps

Windows 10 Office 365
    The video of the AUG presentation I did on 17 Dec was published on You Tube this morning: https://youtu.be/FxGhycnvUZY

HUGE thanks to Crystal Long for spending many hours editing this to perfection!

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Any chance that someone could repost that vid with the volume boosted about 100%? It's woefully low on my laptop with YT and pc volume all the way up. So far I'm only 7 minutes in and unless the room is as quite as a morgue I can't hear it without raising my laptop to my nose so that the speakers are almost on either side of my ears!

EDIT - when a question was posted I noticed a significant increase in volume, so for some reason, your mic is what seems to be the issue. Anyone else experience this or is it just me and my cheap pc?
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Sorry to hear its too quiet for you.

I'm slightly deaf and often speak far too loud so its unusual for anyone to say I'm too quiet!
    I've listened to it numerous times in the editing stage and it always seemed OK to me.
    I agree that the two channels are slightly different in volume in the mix but to me both seem loud enough

However I normally listen using headphones rather than rely on the fairly weak speakers on my tablet or laptop.
    I do that for all YouTube videos...not just this one..

Can you try doing that if necessary....you can also make use of the subtitles ...though these aren't always accurate

Suggest you also make a comment in the YouTube channel so Crystal will see it

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I'd invite anyone else here who finds the volume too low to do the same. I doubt she'll do anything about it if it's just me. If you google this issue, it is a common problem though. But it's not my hearing as 99% of YT vids I watch I have to set the volume to less than max.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Have you tried listening through headphones/earphones as I suggested? If not, please do so - it should then be fine

Crystal probably spent about 25 hours editing this before publication and I know the public version won't be altered again now.
    However, I've already mentioned this to her for future reference.

Try listening to my previous YT video that Crystal edited - https://youtu.be/-mgIvCosYtU Is that any better for you?

I can certainly adjust the MP4 file volume and upload it to my website but there will be some distortion if I do so.
    As the various audio channels are now merged it would also mean all channels would be increased by the same amount
    Let me know if you want me to do so.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I don't have a set of quality headphones. What I have is just airline junk, which I doubt will provide much value in the way of testing. What I did do was test another instructional YT vid with a decibel meter phone app. It averaged 56dB. The intro on your vid averaged 50. Your portion averaged 42, which is 18 dB less that the 1st vid (60 dB). I'm no expert, but from what I can tell that means your sound intensity is 18x less and the perceived sound volume level is about 1/4 that of the vid that averaged 60 dB. So your volume would have to be 4x greater to match the 1st vid. Rightly or wrongly, I concluded that from this
    https://hearinglosshelp.com/blog/con...d-intensities/

In the end, I don't think it matters much, especially if no one else agrees. Thanks for the offer but I did manage to finish watching your vid so there's no need to worry about it.
    As for the other vid, the individual average for both the intro and your first minute or so were around 53 dB and are acceptable IMO.
    Thanks.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Whilst high quality headsets can cost a lot, you can get reasonable quality at a low price.
    I use earphones partly due to hearing loss. It means I can hear without others being deafened.

Before reading your reply, I'd already done a modified version with the audio increased by 50%.
    I've just uploaded it to: https://isladogs.co.uk/dl/CAI/video/...udioPlus50.zip
    NOTE clicking the link is a direct download

The upload took several hours as the file size is approx 445 MB (but still far smaller than the original 1.7 GB file on YouTube)

I would be grateful if you could check it out and see what you think
    As already mentioned, increasing the volume can cause distortion
    For example, there is some distortion on the text to speech section (at around 31 mins) but its still understandable in my opinion
    Last edited by isladogs; 12-29-2021 at 06:13 AM.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Not sure if you realize that your url causes a direct zip file download. Interesting comment about the load time for you - about 45 secs for me to download and maybe 5 seconds to unzip. As an mp4, it plays in MS Photos for me. At 75% app volume and 100% pc volume, it's tons better than before. Do you want me to check the dB readings at some level of app output? I don't detect much distortion at the text to speech portion - not even at 100% volume.

FWIW, I've had my hearing and ears checked every 2 years for the last 6 years or so by an otolaryngologist and audiologist. While my hearing isn't perfect, there's no concern either. Just pointing that out in case you were wondering.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Interesting comment about the load time for you - about 45 secs for me to download
    upload speeds are generally a lot slower than downloads although several hours v 45 seconds does seem a bit extreme - Colin, perhaps you need a bigger bit of string

Windows 10 Office 365
    It was intended as a direct download.

I have VERY slow internet speed here. At best, 15 Mbps download & 1 Mbps upload but often far slower. Penalty of living in a fairly remote area

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	16 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	46951

So downloading it from the same URL took me almost 10 minutes.

As for the upload, it took up all my bandwidth.
    I had to interrupt it several times to allow me to use the internet for other purposes e.g. participate in the AUG session at 6pm tonight

Hence several hours ...

Windows 10 Office 365
    The intro on your vid averaged 50. Your portion averaged 42, which is 18 dB less that the 1st vid (60 dB). I'm no expert, but from what I can tell that means your sound intensity is 18x less and the perceived sound volume level is about 1/4 that of the vid that averaged 60 dB. So your volume would have to be 4x greater to match the 1st vid.
    For info, your calculations aren't correct. Decibels are based on a logarithmic scale. That means a 3 db increase approximately corresponds to a doubling in volume & a 3db decrease is a halving in volume.
    The original bel scale uses log to the base 10 of 2 = 0.301. Decibel multiplies that by 10 so giving 3.01 dB for a 2 x volume difference.
    However there is far more to audio volumes that just decibel values

Now I don't know which part you measured but an 18dB difference would correspond to a 64x difference in volume though our hearing will adjust that to some extent.
    As you rightly said, perceived volume is different to the number of decibels

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.