templeowls is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Button to add defined text line to a long-text field

Bit of an odd question and I haven't been able to find a guide online. I've a database full of customer complaints and a form that looks at each complaint one at a time.

There's a "follow-up" field where I add in all my notes for the complaint like "left message to talk with customer", etc.

The last line of the field always needs to state "11/12/2021: Complaint closed. This has been addressed with the customer."

It's kind of a pain to always type out. I was hoping I could just add a button that, when pressed, automatically drops in that line into the field. Any idea?

I've added an example DB to help show what I'm working with.

Example.accdb

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    That should be easy to do. You need to check if the follow-up field already has the "Complaint closed" string in it and if not add the line:
    Code:
    If Instr(Me.txtFollowUp,"Complaint closed")=0 then 
         Me.txtFollowUp =Me.txtFollowUp & vbcrlf & Date() & ": Complaint closed. This has been addressed with the customer."
    End If
    Me.txtDateClosed=Date()
    Me.Dirty=False 'save the record
    Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    The term won't be there if it's part of the sentence that you want to append so no point in looking for it?
    Make a string variable (strResponse ? ) = the entire contents of the field; e.g. strResponse = Me.txtMyControlName.
    Then write
    strResponse = strResponse & vbCrLf & Date & ": Complaint closed. This has been addressed with the customer."

That assumes you want a line wrap for the ending. If not, remove the vbCrLf
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    My idea was to not append it if the complaint was already closed as if there are lots of lines the text box might not be tall enough to display the last line that would hold the ...Complaint closed... line.

Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

Windows 10 Access 2016
    The last line of the field always needs to state "11/12/2021: Complaint closed. This has been addressed with the customer."
    It's kind of a pain to always type out. I was hoping I could just add a button that, when pressed, automatically drops in that line into the field.
    Guess we'll have to wait for clarification, because I interpret those comments to mean that the line won't be there, thus Instr won't find "Complaint closed".

EDIT - Sorry Vlad, I didn't thoroughly read what you posted and you are spot on. I've not been concentrating as much as I should lately. The only thing I dare to add is that not always does the user want a date stamp equal to the current date. If the action was taken on previous day/shift that might be the date that should be there and not the current date. However, you gave what was asked for and rightly so.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Gicu View Post
    That should be easy to do. You need to check if the follow-up field already has the "Complaint closed" string in it and if not add the line:
    Code:
    If Instr(Me.txtFollowUp,"Complaint closed")=0 then 
         Me.txtFollowUp =Me.txtFollowUp & vbcrlf & Date() & ": Complaint closed. This has been addressed with the customer."
    End If
    Me.txtDateClosed=Date()
    Me.Dirty=False 'save the record
    Cheers,

So sorry about the delay in response. This worked perfectly. One small question....is it possible for the text to have a line break in it when inserted? I.e.:

Complaint closed. This has been addressed with the customer.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    try
    ": Complaint closed." & vbCrLf & "This has been addressed with the customer."

Windows 10 Access 2016
    That worked!! Thanks so much. This is a huge time saver

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.