rogeye is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Red face How to use reserved word MAX correctly to UPDATE a field

RULE: if XMDATE for a PERSON (Lname | Fname | dob ) has at least on instance equal to or newer than 6 years, then do not ARCHIVE ( example: newer than 10/25/2015)

ID XMdate Last name first name birth date street ARCHIVE_Y_N
    1 01/01/1950 banks rob 01/01/1960 1 none No
    2 02/02/1955 banks rob 01/01/1960 1 none No
    3 03/03/1960 banks rob 01/01/1960 2 moved No
    4 08/08/2000 banks rob 01/01/1960 2 moved No
    5 09/09/2020 banks rob 01/01/1960 3 another No
    6 10/24/2021 banks rob 01/01/1960 3 another No
    7 01/01/1950 dunk slam 02/02/1970 23 none No
    8 01/02/1950 dunk slam 02/02/1970 23 none No
    9 10/24/2000 hearts ace 03/03/1980 435 lane No

ID is primary key autonumber index no duplicates

END Result is: Mr. Dunk & Mr. Hearts are archived, only Rob Banks is a current customer and not archived

This code results in the correct list as desired:

SELECT Max( Plist.ID), max(Plist.xmdate), last(Plist.lname) AS lastname, last(Plist.fname) AS firstname, last(Plist.dob), last(Plist.street), last(Plist.XMDATE) AS PDATE
    FROM Plist
    GROUP BY Plist.lname, Plist.Fname, Plist.dob
    ORDER BY Max(PlisT.XMDATE);

Expr1000 Expr1001 lastname firstname Expr1004 street XMDATE
    8 01/02/1951 dunk slam 02/02/1970 23 none 01/02/1951
    9 10/24/2000 spades ace 03/03/1980 435 team 10/24/2000
    6 10/24/2021 banks rob 01/01/1960 3 another 10/24/2021

So ROB BANKS has had a transaction since 2015 (actually as recent as 2021) so he will not be archived.

QUESTION: How Do I use this result to UPDATE or SET ARCHIVE_Y_N to "YES" IN THE parent TABLE?

i PRESUME SOME SORT OF JOIN IS USED AND PERHAPS IN code builder i would use a SET command

Followup question: Then there is the matter of the children tables provided in the attachment. I have to enforce referential integrity
    and SET those flags to YES. Then APPEND them to ARCHIVE first and then DELETE them before doing the same in PARENT

If you can answer these two questions, you are heads & shoulders above your peers in the RESPONDER community; no one has been able to do step up to this challenge so far. Indeed, noone could come up with the code I posted above, so please show some respect this blue collar non programmer type
    figured out on my own and just help me with the logic to SET ARCH FLAGS. I think I can handle the APPEND and DELETE. I probably hav e written code ten years ago that would do the SET in Code builder, but a real winner of an advisor could save me a lot of time and grief I am sure. And please don't waste time dwelling on the three fields in PARENT that are not normalized. You save me the insult and I will do the same for you. That issue is besides the point.

TEST archive 1 - Copy.accdb

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    bad news, you cannot use a summation query (max,count, sum, etc) in an update query.
    this woulda made things easier, but you CAN use a function that does the max in the update qry.

Code:
    function getMax(pvID)
    getMax = DMax("[xmdate]", "table","[id]=" & pvID & ")"
    end function

the in the query:
    update table set [MyFld] = getMax([id])

You can insert the results of the summation query into a (new) temp table, use this for the update and then delete the temp data.

Gicu is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Please review the updated file to see if that is what you're after. As mentioned totals queries cannot be joined in update queries, so if the method I used is too slow due to large datasets then you might want to try Noella's temp table approach (which will create some db bloat that will require some compacting).
    I also think that the archive flags in the child tables are not required as you can always identify those records by simply joining the parent table (to do the append\delete queries for archiving).

Cheers,
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post
    bad news, you cannot use a summation query (max,count, sum, etc) in an update query.
    this woulda made things easier, but you CAN use a function that does the max in the update qry.

Code:
    function getMax(pvID)
    getMax = DMax("[xmdate]", "table","[id]=" & pvID & ")"
    end function

the in the query:
    update table set [MyFld] = getMax([id])

WoW, you three out did yourselves. Great feednack, ranman256, NoellaG and Gicu. I need to download Gicu solution and open it tomorrow. I was afraid of downloading files and viruses. I don't know how you guys live with that risk on these platforms, really. But apparently Gicu has put together some code and didn't want to take the time to cut and paste into the reply?

Ranman256: Let me ask you in the meantime. Your solution looks intriguing. I can learn something new here for sure.

The way you wrote the code won't work, but I think I can imagine a way to modify it so it would be slick.
    -what is pvID? you mean the autonumber keyfield in PARENT? well we don't want MAXvalue for each autonumber. Get that? That is simply XMdate by definition.

However, we could possibly create a temporary field at run time. A concatenation of Lname | Fname | dob and call it RUNTIMEkey
    Then we can get Dmax across RUNTIMEkey!

How do I code for RUNTIMEkey? Is there a concatenation function?

Could you also spell out the udate query more precisely , please - -remember I am Joe Q Public , not a Pro programmer like you three. I do this once every ten years, literally.....literally...don't assume I know what you are talking about

NoellaG approach is what I was thinking all along - - How exactly would I write the summation query so it actuallly INSERTS the result into a (new) temp table instead of to the display? INSERT into TEMP file after the GROUP STATEMENT? SEE what I mean? I am dumb

SELECT Max( Plist.ID), max(Plist.xmdate), last(Plist.lname) AS lastname, last(Plist.fname) AS firstname, last(Plist.dob), last(Plist.street), last(Plist.XMDATE) AS

PDATE
    FROM Plist
    ORDER BY Max(PlisT.XMDATE)
    INSERT TEMPTABLE; <----------------------------------

WoW, Great feedback,
    remember I am Joe Q Public , not a Pro programmer like you three. I do this once every ten years, literally.....literally...don't assume I know what you are talking about

How exactly would I write the summation query so it actuallly INSERTS the result into a (new) temp table instead of to the display? INSERT into TEMP file after the GROUP STATEMENT? SEE Below seewhat I mean? I am dumb

SELECT Max( Plist.ID), max(Plist.xmdate), last(Plist.lname) AS lastname, last(Plist.fname) AS firstname, last(Plist.dob), last(Plist.street), last(Plist.XMDATE) AS

PDATE
    FROM Plist
    ORDER BY Max(PlisT.XMDATE)
    INSERT TEMPTABLE; <----------------------------------

But apparently Gicu has put together some code and didn't want to take the time to cut and paste into the reply?
    Wow, some people are so ungrateful
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Rogeye went on my ignore list probably quicker than any other poster.
    The level of rudeness and obnoxiousness to someone trying to help someone was extra special, glad to see that my judgement wasn't out.
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    I stopped putting forum members on an ignore list during the time I was a moderator at another forum. That was because I felt obligated to read any comments no matter how obnoxious.

Congratulations to Rogeye for becoming the first person I've put on my ignore list in at least 4 years.
    I agree totally with comments made by other members who have tried to assist and been met with rudeness by way of thanks.
    Soon there may be nobody left who is willing to reply to this member.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

For those users who might stumble onto PERFORMANCE SPEED ISSUES whn moving an application
    to a new platform. I figured out the answer: The issue is the TRUST CENTER

You have to identify your file folder to ACCESS as trustworthy. If you do not, even if you enable content,
    you will dog your system on performance speed each time the FORM I/O/s the table.

Here are the steps to take:

MICROSOFT PIZZA SYmbol
    ACCESS OPTIONs
    TRUST CENTER
    TRUST CENTER SETTINGS
    ADD locations: select C:\USER FILE

I want to thank Davegri, Ranman256, NoellaG, Gicu for trying to help me.

I found Minty, Welshgasman, Isladogs to be dismissive if not, condescending or dense.
    They really should not be on the community. They have no interest in truly listening to
    the problem people are having. I suppose they work well with full time programmer types.
    Not everyone who uses ACCESS does it for a living. I admitted I was a hack all along.

And this hack dogged those three. Good for me. I figured out an issue that affects my livelihood. No thanks to those three.

And don't forget about the TRUST CENTER.

Trust me-

ROGEYE

I figured out the performance issue. No thanks to you. If you are interested to learn something, read my latest post. Doubt you are really interested in helping people enough, to read it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.