Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    GraeagleBill is offline Experienced Old Geezer
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    then view that in datasheet view
    Everything is there, i.e., all records correctly shown.

I keep coming back to the un-bound controls as a possible source of problems. It's not a ton of effort, so I think I'll try adding a half-dozen fields to the RecordSource query that are function calls and pre-load the function value returns in the OnOpen event such that the functions always return the same value, namely what would have otherwise been used to populate the un-bound controls in the first place. That way, all data will come from the RecordSource.

Did I mention that I hate reports

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by GraeagleBill View Post
    Did I mention that I hate reports
    Yes...several times
    I'm really not convinced that these issues are directly related to hiding the application interface.
    Although I've asked more than once, in both the forum and email exchanges, I don't believe you've ever said whether you get the same issues with reports when using my example app.
    I cannot replicate the issues you have described.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

I'm really not convinced that these issues are directly related to hiding the application interface.
    No, nor am I.

A thousand pardons anywhere where I failed to answer a question. I thought that I'd reported to you that your example app runs perfectly. I had problems trying to adopt my reports to the same scheme, in that the print preview and report view reports would sometimes not display at all or would display behind other app windows. I finally found constant success rendering the reports as sub-reports to a form. The current OP is where I'm struggling with one of the two remaining reports from my app. I have no technical knowledge about the mix of bound and un-bound text boxes, so I'm going to bind all the text boxes to see if that has any effect. I'll post back after I've had a chance to try out that thought.

Again, I'm really sorry if I failed to respond properly to a question you'd asked.
    Bill

No problem. I just think that the application interface aspect may be irrelevant.
    However. I also suspect that bound/unbound textboxes are irrelevant as well.

I know its an old app. Which version of Access was it created in?
    Have you tried DECOMPILING? Have you tried creating a new blank database and importing all objects?
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!

I know its an old app. Which version of Access was it created in?
    A2003

Have you tried DECOMPILING?
    I started with the A2003 MDB source code that has had minor upgrades from time-to-time. With the current effort, I converted to the A2007 format and have been working with the accdb source code.

Have you tried creating a new blank database and importing all objects?
    Yes, at one point several days ago, I thought I had a corrupted DB on my hands so I created a new accdb and imported all the objects into that.

Quote Originally Posted by GraeagleBill View Post
    A2003

I started with the A2003 MDB source code that has had minor upgrades from time-to-time. With the current effort, I converted to the A2007 format and have been working with the accdb source code.

Yes, at one point several days ago, I thought I had a corrupted DB on my hands so I created a new accdb and imported all the objects into that.
    I think you may have misunderstood what decompiling means. See http://www.fmsinc.com/microsoftacces.../Decompile.asp

I think you may have misunderstood what decompiling means
    Yes, I did misunderstand. (We used to decompile object modules from interpretive languages to view the source code.)

Anyway, I did decompile the accdb file AND also noticed the backend mdb was still in the A2000 format, so I upgraded that to 2003-2007 as well. None of that made any difference.

Oh! And I also created a new accdb and imported all the objects into the new DB, still no difference.

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Create a copy of the report and remove all the unbound controls. (I can't remeber if you have done this already?)

I recently had a similar issue with an unbound control, and the can grow = yes giving me a infinite number of blank pages where that control should have been.
    In the end I created a calculated query field with the same data (as a DLookup() which I hated) but it was a quick and dirty fix, and then bound the control to that and the issue vanished.

I don't remember these issues in 2010 version, but equally I haven't done many reports in the last 2-3 years and have only just revisited them.
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

I removed all of the un-bound text boxes, but the problem persists.

I'm going to build a new report from scratch "piece-meal" testing as I go to see if there's simply something inherent with the report that is at cause. I don't want to burn up everyone's time trying to help me if it's simply a corrupted report. I shall post the results.

New version of report: 1 image control and 2 label controls in the "Page Header section" and one bound text box in the "Detail Section".

The form and sub-report open and display, but the page header ONLY displays on the 1st page (I don't think that will be a problem once I can create a pdf), bound control populates correctly. When I click on the command button to send the report to a pdf file, I get a runtime 2046, see screenshot below. In the past, the only time I got a 2046 was when the pdf file already existed, which is not the case at the time I got the error depicted below. However, I DO NOT get the error if there are no breakpoints, BUT, no pdf file is created.

BTW, this is the only report I have with an image control, so I removed the control and re-tested but it made no difference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	46479

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    You're not running that in a runtime version by chance? I've never used runtime so it might be a dumb question, but AFAIK, OutputTo isn't allowed in RT version.
    EDIT - BTW, I think you'd find that including the error number in a single message box would be helpful.
    Msgbox "Error " & Err.Number & ": " & Err.Description

is how I roll.
    Also, it may be that in RT version you have to open the report first.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

You're not running that in a runtime version by chance?
    I have to beg ignorance here, by "runtime", do you mean from a accde file? If so, then no, I'm running from the accdb source file but having started with a shift-click on the accdb file from the Access Window so that I could set breakpoints. If I open the app without the shift-click, I don't get the 2046 error but the pdf still isn't created.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Runtime is a Googleable word (is that a word?) which would result in no waiting for me .

Basically it's a locked down version of a db whose design capabilities can be restored just by changing accdr to accdb. I'd say that's only something you'd do if you wanted to simulate RT version for testing without using the /runtime switch. There would be no point - you'd install RT version of Access for users who don't/can't have Access license.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Now I know exactly what you're talking about. I've never had a user that didn't have a compatible level of Access to run a mde or accde release of an app, so I've never had to release an app that included the runtime. So, to answer your question, I'm not using an RT version of Access.

Re: Post #25
    New version of report: 1 image control and 2 label controls in the "Page Header section" and one bound text box in the "Detail Section".
    This version is now working properly. There was a "Fit to page" property set wrong and a Requery in the OnOpen that ought not have been there following a Me.FilterOn = True statement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.