shank is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007

Selected collating sequence not supported with the specified file format

I was trying to make modifications to a module and really pissed off Access 2019. I couldn't Remove it, but I could delete the code and save it. But still cannot delete it. But screwing around with that has caused other issues.

I can't do anything in the database I was working in. I get this error "Selected collating sequence not supported with the specified file format", cancel out of it, then get this error "Close the OLE server and restart outside of MS Access. Then try the original operation again".

I could not find how to restart OLE, so gave up and decided to start from scratch with a new database and copy select content over to it from the bad database. Wrong! I cannot create a new database now without getting these two errors. And in the end, the new database will not save and cannot import anything. I can still open other databases and they seem OK. But not the bad one and cannot create a new one. In the process of creating a new one I cannot import anything either.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Did you search that error? I've never seen it so I did just that. I won't take the credit for any of the solutions I read; rather will leave you to search and perhaps find something relevant to your Access version. It would seem to be about changing the sort order from General to General-Legacy but I didn't read enough to figure out the rest of the story.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    Did you search that error? I've never seen it so I did just that. I won't take the credit for any of the solutions I read; rather will leave you to search and perhaps find something relevant to your Access version. It would seem to be about changing the sort order from General to General-Legacy but I didn't read enough to figure out the rest of the story.
    I did search and found the same as you. However, at the time, I could not get to a point where I could change the sorting in options, in the new database. Frustrated, I posted here. Just before writing this response, I gave it another go. I misunderstood the sorting. I needed to open an old functional database, set sorting from General to General-Legacy, then create a new database. Therein I copied all objects and relinked tables and it worked. I could not fix the issues in the old database. I must have corrupted it. On the good side, all objects I needed copied over and I'm now running again.

Thanks!

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Great! My first thought was to re-install Access, but after scrutinizing your post more I Googled the message, which I have never seen. I'm glad you went at it again, or we might have missed learning something and spent considerable time beating around the bush.

So I'm curious; after one applies that fix and creates a new db, what happens if you switch back to General and try to open the fixed db - or rather, a COPY of it. I would not advise switching the setting back and opening the db you just fixed.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    Great! My first thought was to re-install Access, but after scrutinizing your post more I Googled the message, which I have never seen. I'm glad you went at it again, or we might have missed learning something and spent considerable time beating around the bush.

So I'm curious; after one applies that fix and creates a new db, what happens if you switch back to General and try to open the fixed db - or rather, a COPY of it. I would not advise switching the setting back and opening the db you just fixed.
    Before posting, I tried "repairing" MS Access and rebooting. No joy. I appreciate your curiosity. But I screwed around for an hour trying to get going again and not really tempted to play around with the known corrupt db or play with settings that could muck it up for me. My indulgence has cautions. I am curious though as to why that setting got changed on its own and why I had to open another database to change it before creating a new db. That sorting option is under the General tab that I could not get to when creating the new.

Thanks!

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Changing from MDB to ACCDB or vice versa can cause this issue
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.