GraeagleBill is offline Experienced Old Geezer
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit

Sub-report in form not printing to specified width

I have a form with an 8.5 inch wide container control for an 8.0 inch wide report, the margins for the report both left and right are 1/8 inch (0.125). The report has a vertical scroll bar but the form does not, the form's width is 9 inches. I have adjusted the width properties of both the form and the container control several times trying to understand why the right-most text box of the Detail Section gets truncated, but nothing seems to affect change.

Did I mention that I hate reports?

Anyway, any ideas from what I've described?
    Bill

I don't know if it matters, but printing is initiated via a "Print" command button on the report where the OnClick event issues a "DoCmd.Printout" to use the default printer.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    why the right-most text box of the Detail Section gets truncated,
    Detail section of which?

Maybe because you're not allowing a horizontal scrollbar but it's needed (even though by your described dimensions it should not be)? Might be a combination of issues, like you are using MoveSize method as well and forgot that? Hmm, that's Déjà vu to me.

Also, you might not be seeing a form vertical scrollbar because there's no need for it but unless you actually disallow it, space is reserved for it. That could also be a problem.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

actually disallow it
    Isn't that essentially what "Neither" accomplishes?

Oops! Sorry, forgot to answer your question:
    Detail section of which?
    The Detail section of the report. The form only has one control, the container for the report.
    Last edited by GraeagleBill; 10-13-2021 at 11:16 PM.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Yep, but if you said what setting you have I missed it. Have seen one or more threads about that where form had Both or Vertical (can't recall which) and that was the issue.
    So now that you've said which detail section, the math suggests that you've left only .25" for the scrollbar, which at first you say you have,
    The report has a vertical scroll bar
    then you imply that you don't
    If the 1st applies to the report and the 2nd to the form, I don't see how that helps with truncating your report field/control. However, usually truncating applies to cutting off text so are we to understand that's the issue, or is the control itself being clipped by the form container? Maybe a design and report pic would help. Hate to repeat the usual, but a sample db goes a long way as you know.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

I think I need some fundamental education regarding sub-reports within a form. Basically, one is tasked with reconciling the width of a printed report with the size of the paper.

There are three widths involved, the report together with its margins, the width of the container and the width of the form. My feeble mind thinks that if the width of the report plus its margins do not exceed the width of the paper, like an independent report would do, that all should be well. My feeble mind also thinks that scroll bars ought not play any roll in determining the appropriate widths, in that the space for the bars are not part of the printout, apparently they do?

As it stands now, the report properties has both scroll bars enabled, while the form only has a vertical. If vertical scroll bars are .25 inches in width and have to be included in the overall width of the report relative to an 8-1/2 X 11 inch paper, then that's where I really need to start in solving my OP?

So, having said all of that, what's the skinny on space for vertical scroll bars in the current case?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Putting a report on a form isn't something I've ever been inclined to do when it's likely that a subform would suffice. Mainly that's because I'd be trying to avoid the factors that influence how reports might look or act when they open, such as printer settings and drivers, page margins, and the view of the report. Print preview will not show vertical scrollbar whereas report view will (if required).

You say you've played with the settings for the dimensions and have had no success. I have to revert back to keep on playing and maybe you'll hit it, or as mentioned post a sample of the problem. It's about all I've got left for this because as noted, I'd try to stay away from nesting a report on a form, but that's just me.

'd try to stay away from nesting a report on a form
    This the first time I've ever done so. I'm wanting to use Riddington's method of hiding the Access Window with one of my old apps, so I'm trying to mimic how he dealt with reports. I couldn't get direct PrintPreview or ReportView to work, so the third approach of embedding the ReportView report as a sub-report in a form is what I'm trying now. I have a sample app from Colin, so I'll make some major design changes to the reports I have to more-or-less match his samples with regard to the various widths involved.

Thanks,
    Bill

Saved by one of the prime users, who suggested that 99 times out of 100 they don't print the reports. Rather, they create pdf files for easier and more convenient soft-copy distribution, and they can always print the pdf files if need be. This basically leaves me with a total copout on this caper, but my mother always told me "don't look a gift-horse in the mouth".

Did I mention that I hate these diabolical reports .

Sorry for having burned up some of your time.
    Bill

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.