markjkubicki is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

looking for a work-around to allow a subform on a continuous form

I'd created a series of (6+/-) forms to allow the user to quickly enter and compare different aspects of multiple records at once. One form allows the user to view fields A, B plus C; another fields A, B plus D, E; and yet another A, B, plus F, G,H, I, J. Note that all forms have the same layout of base fields PLUS the additional fields.

Rather than re-create the base fields on each form.

I erroneously thought I could create a *continuous* forms (so that the user can see multiple records at once) that included the base fields, and one of a series of subforms, each with the appropriate additional fields.
    ...Not allowed, continuous forms cannot have subforms.

any suggestions for a work around?
    it is important for the user to be able to view multiple records at the same time

as always,
    with appreciation in advance,
    m.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Cannot imagine why you'd want to show some fields of a record on various forms.
    Perhaps you could make use of a tab control and put some fields onto forms in various pages. The drawback for you might be that you cannot see 2 or more pages at the same time. What you'd have is one form (continuous or otherwise) on each page.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

1. Put 1st continuous form (form1) on [unbound] main form as subform;
    2. Add an unbound text box(es) into main form (and hide it/them);
    3. Write a Current event for form1, which updates hidden text box(es) on main form with value(s) in current row of form1;
    4. Put 2nd continuous form (form2) on main form as subform;
    5. Set up link(s) for second subform to hidden control(s) on main form.

But from post #1 it looks like you don't want those additional forms to be real subforms of form1 (a subform displays additional info to anything displayed in active row in form1 - like you have a list of invoices in form1, and list of invoice rows aka purchased items and their quantities, prices, etc. for active invoice in form2) - instead it looks like you want forms which display different field sets of same recordset. This is also possible (is this a reasonable is for you to decide). To do this, you need hidden control(s) on unbound main form to be updated with primary key (or combination of index keys which are composed as primary key there) value(s), and link other suborm(s) to this/those hidden control(s). To make your life easier, disable records adding/deleting for additional forms. When you have only 2 such subforms linked, it will be possible to synchronize them from Current events (but you must be careful you don't get an infinite cycle there), with more of them I'm not so sure about this.

I myself have used similar design to display additional (non-essential) information of active recordset in continuous form1 in single form (form2) beside it. When you disable all record selection/adding/deleting for form2, the maintaining this doesn't cause any problems.

markjkubicki is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    perhaps a few pics will help

there is a single-record main form with LOTs of tabs
    for the user to review all of their entries across the record set at one time, it is useful to see a continuous form with all of the records and a select set of the fields (typically isolated to one of the tabs on the main form). multiple forms with limited groups of fields is an acceptable (and usual) way of reviewing. There are a few fields that need to be seen on every one of the continuation review forms to help the user identify one record from another..., this is the intention of the post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-10-13_13-47-55.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	208.7 KB 
ID:	46410

Name:	2021-10-13_14-09-03.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	176.1 KB 
ID:	46411

Name:	2021-10-13_13-45-07.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	46412

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I'm getting lost as it seems you have what you're asking for, but perhaps those pictures are worth a thousand words that I don't understand.
    So yes, a cf form cannot have a subform in the detail section, but what I found is that you can put a subform in a cf header. Access will complain and set the default view to single form if you choose OK. You can allow this then open it in design view again, reset default to cf, save and it won't complain. Seems to work but I have no idea what will happen if you try to deal with such a form in the usual manner. Perhaps you'd raise an error when trying to code to get a subform value or property. You'd have to play around if you want to know if it will work for you and it would sure be nice if you reported your findings. No doubt others are as curious as me - unless they've already tried this of course.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I've used a (single) subform in a continuous form in the past, but in the footer rather than the header, not that I think it will make much difference but in any event won't meet the OP's requirement.

June7 is offline VIP
    Data that must be viewed regardless of which tab is active could be placed on the "common" area of form. Or textboxes on each tab can have expression that references a textbox on another tab or multiple textboxes can be bound to the same field.

I would not have multiple forms displaying same record, each capable of editing that record, unless code commits edits when switching between subforms.

Something to keep in mind is form is limited to 750 controls over its life.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Quote Originally Posted by markjkubicki View Post
    <snip>I erroneously thought I could create a *continuous* forms (so that the user can see multiple records at once) that included the base fields, and one of a series of subforms, each with the appropriate additional fields.
    ...Not allowed, continuous forms cannot have subforms. <snip>
    I'm with Ajax -
    I have continuous forms main forms with many continuous forms sub forms, as long as the continuous forms sub forms are in the main form header or footer (either using the tab control or not).
    Continuous forms main form with continuous forms sub forms IS NOT allowed when the continuous forms sub form is in the details section.

I would be interested in seeing the dB.......

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.