Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Access program to kick off another Database?

I want to be able to have a user click on a intro database and have it download a copy of the main database from a network drive, then open the intended local database. I currently do this with a vb exe but remember reading on here there was code to do that using MS Access. Can anyone point me in right direction or have a link to it?

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    why not just give them the shortcut link to the network database that's already there?

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Corruptions issues possibly but biggest benefit is I can update the program, put a fresh copy in network folder and next time they click the icon, it will copy the latest version to their PC.

Some people have a shortcut that copies the DB afresh each time.?
    I used to use a versioning method to get the latest copy.
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulzie View Post
    Corruptions issues possibly but biggest benefit is I can update the program, put a fresh copy in network folder and next time they click the icon, it will copy the latest version to their PC.
    I would be investigating WHY there is so much corruption occurring.

Is the dB split?
    If split, is more than one user using the same FE dB?
    Is anyone connecting using WiFi or WAN?

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Well if I only had 1 FE on network then they would all use that but want to avoid that. Yes the db is split. I'm pretty sure there was code or sample db on this site someone created to do this in Access but cannot seem to find it, was hoping someone remembered and had a link.

Don't know if it's possible in your environment, but can't you publish the application via Citrix or equivalent? Only 1 version needed than.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    So many ways to skin this cat; so many examples already posted - maybe even here. Sorry I have no actual code at home to post but would add that some take the "check be table for update data and see if it is new". Others just force a download upon every opening. Either approach won't deal with users who might leave a db open for days, so that may take a hidden form timer event to solve but you'd need to use a forced shutdown routine in conjunction. Some will allow the db to remain open but will stop every new process until the use updates. Since we don't seem to be providing a source, ask my buddy Barney Google?

HTH
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Just to clarify the process for example, database "mydb.accdb" is in a network folder users can access. They have a vb exe icon on desktop that does the following:
    1. Checks to see if a local folder called "myfolder" is found on the persons PC, if not it will create it.
    2. Copies mydb.accdb from the network folder to c:\myfolder (only issue is here and not often but if somehow a user goes into the network folder and opens the database there, others will get a runtime error as it cannot copy the database down to their local PC since it is open.)
    3. Finds a version of MS Access on the local PC and opens the newly copied database "c:\myfolder\mydb.accdb"
    This way users open the local copy of the database and if I make updates to the program, I just have to replace the version in the network folder and the next time they click on the icon it will download and open the newest version.

So I have used this with many databases using a vb exe and works great but wanted to do it all in MS Access and remembered someone had a db coded already.

This is what I used, in this thread.https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...ia-vba.314716/
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.