smg is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2010 64bit

combobox allows multi-select, need it to select only one

I have a combobox on a form that allows user to select multiple items from the drop down. I now need to change it so user can select only one item. How do I do that?
    Thanks

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by smg View Post
    I have a combobox on a form that allows user to select multiple items from the drop down. I now need to change it so user can select only one item. How do I do that?
    Thanks
    Change its "Multi Select" property to None
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Is the combobox bound to a multi-value field?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I am using Access 2021, trying to stay out of VBA, but do not see multi select as an option on property sheet. What am I missing here?

I am using Access 2010, trying to stay out of VBA, but don't see multi select on property sheet for the field.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Listboxes allow multi-select but not comboboxes ...with one exception.
    If you have multivalued fields (MVFs), comboboxes will display a series of checkboxes from which one or more values can be chosen.

However using MVFs is considered to be a VERY BAD IDEA by most developers. See Multivalued fields ...and why you shouldn't use them
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I have a combobox on a form that allows user to select multiple items from the drop down
    If you designed the form then what follows has about a zero percent chance of being applicable.

Listbox multi-select property is on the Other tab of the property sheet. Maybe you have a listbox that was designed to behave like a combo (i.e. expand vertically).
    IIRC, even a combo bound to a mv field does not have the multi-select property available.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    If you designed the form then what follows has about a zero percent chance of being applicable.

Listbox multi-select property is on the Other tab of the property sheet. Maybe you have a listbox that was designed to behave like a combo (i.e. expand vertically).
    IIRC, even a combo bound to a mv field does not have the multi-select property available.
    Yes it does

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	19 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	46327
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I didn't say it wasn't multi select, I said the property was not available. Since you have one to play with and I don't can you confirm the property is available in the property sheet?
    Thanks.

EDIT - in other words, if the property was available (read that as not read-only) then you would be able to set it to no - not that would make a whole lot of sense to do so.
    My point was for the OP to search the property sheet and see if that property was there for his/her combobox. I'm saying it's probably not there.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    I didn't say it wasn't multi select, I said the property was not available. Since you have one to play with and I don't can you confirm the property is available in the property sheet?
    Thanks.

EDIT - in other words, if the property was available (read that as not read-only) then you would be able to set it to no - not that would make a whole lot of sense to do so.
    My point was for the OP to search the property sheet and see if that property was there for his/her combobox. I'm saying it's probably not there.
    Sorry about that
    You are indeed correct. The property doesn't exist even for a combobox based on a multi valued field

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.