Sarge, USMC is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

design advice

I run a sports club. I need to design a DB that will allow me to store player registration data from manual enttry as well as importing data from an online registration service that I can export to Excel. I need to be able to take the player records, with specific data and export it to another online registration service with the State. I have some baskc forms & tables setup.

Wondering if anyone might have some experience with Access usage in this format that would care to share their insight.

Semper Fi,

Sarge

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    hello Sarge,

as far as being able to import into state and federal database, I can tell you with 99% accuracy that their import technologies don't support access files. that was the last time i check though. on the flip side though, all of them will most likely support txt, csv and xls files as these are used by 99% of people that have a computer.

if you're using access though, as your database program, you are going to have to stay manual with some of your tasks...for instance the uploading of the table-schema files to the state and fed. Unless you're using an online database technology like sql, mysql, etc... there is really no easy way to get your data into an online system without manually uploading with the file dialogs.

NTC is offline VIP
    Since your online registration service will export to excel. Start with an import of some of those samples - it will help set the structure of the table.

The wizard will prompt you if you want Access to add a primary key - and do include that. After your first import sets up the table - then try a few more that add records to the existing table.

Then make a form on that table for the manual entries.

This part should all be pretty straight forward.

Most people start with the manual entry form, and then attempt to do the imports - - and then discover the structure of the table they invented doesn't fit the imports' structure....so just be sure to start with the imports.

Hope this helps.

Sarge, USMC is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

Ntc

I built a table from the online export. I had to convert the csv into xls....and then clean it up. So now I have an xls "parking lot" for the export data, once cleaned up. Is there a way to link to the parking lot so the db updates automatically? If so, what abuot redundant data?

Font formatting. How do I format the font for an entire form or table? I can do it field by field, but that's maddening. I need to export the data from the forms that will be created from the master table, and that data must be of a font and point that will fit on a single page for printing.
    Last edited by Sarge, USMC; 10-06-2010 at 05:10 AM.

NTC is offline VIP
    It is probably not feasible to link directly to an online source. You will need to continue your 2 step process via excel. You may be able to eliminate or minimize the 'clean up' - but that depends on what that involves. One doesn't need to worry about excess fields - just ignore them during the import process. But if the fields themselves have garbage characters then you'll have to clean that up still.

Font isn't an issue. Imported into a table in Access 2003 they will be in a neutral default font. Font is only an issue on output - to a form or report - and you can easily control that.

One can not design/maintain a db without a textbook. Be sure to have an Access text book easily found at Amazon or a big book store.

Hope this helps.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.