Cottonshirt is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2007

sharing tables between databases

is it possible for two different databases to share one or more tables?

there is a website I use that you would think has a database behind it, but the names of the folk who appear in their database are often spelled differently in different contexts and I have come to suspect that there is more than one database involved. it seems they have database A for purpose A and database B for purpose B and I was just wondering whether it would be possible, in theory, for them to share the name table so that, for example, Abdel Salam Al Hajjaj does not accidentally appear as Abdesalem Al-Hajjaj.

thank you,

Cottonshirt

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Sure, 2 different front ends could link to the same table.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Cottonshirt is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2007
    pbaldy said: Sure, 2 different front ends could link to the same table.

I have never used a split database so my understanding of how this works might be different than yours, but...

my understanding is, that the front end contains queries, forms, and reports, while the back end contains the tables.

so, if two front ends are sharing the same back end that is not the situation I asked about, because they are just users accessing the same database.

what I meant was, backend_a doesn't have an employee table but uses the employee table in backend_b.

thanks for engaging,

Cottonshirt

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    What I meant was that the front end for backend_a would be linked to tables in backend_a but it could also contain a link to the employee table in backend_b. We use a commercial application for HR/PR but many of my applications link to that app for employee information. Similarly I created a vehicle maintenance db that among other things has a table will all our vehicles. Many other apps link to that table to get vehicle info. They link primarily to their own backend database, but to others as needed.

Said a different way, a front end can link to multiple backend databases, even databases of different types (Access, SQL Server, etc).

I suppose if you wanted to keep your applications unsplit, which I would not recommend, your application for backend_a could have a single linked table to backend_b. I personally would split any application used by anybody other than myself.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...3-51b1d73498cc
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Further to Paul's advice and link provided, you may find this info(Performance Linked Tables) from FMS helpful.

"is it possible for two different databases to share one or more tables?"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SharedTablesV2.PNG 
Views:	19 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	46285

Your example of different tables with different/inconsistent spelling of names is a critical factor for data integration and data standardization. This whole subject can be/has been categorized with terms such as Data governance, Data management, Information Resource Management.... When organization or departments merge there is often an exercise to condense/standardize the information that has to be shared. We often refer to these as authoritative tables/reference tables or standard tables.
    The senior management support for such activity often follows some major complaint or dissatisfaction by client(s) or regulatory body or some detrimental financial or strategic advice(including data breaches and embarrassment). The severity of an issue to the organization can instigate data cleanup and rationalization of disparate sources of commonly used data.

Standardized/authoritative tables are essential for integrated systems.
    Last edited by orange; 09-26-2021 at 08:20 AM. Reason: spelling

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.