Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LeonS is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Adding a Concatenated field into a multiple table query.

Hello! I am writing a query based on 3 tables. The first 2 tables provide all the information I need, except 1 field (FullName). That field is an another table. It is a Concatenated field (FullName). Running the query with the 2 tables works well but, obviously, no FullName field. If I add the 3rd table with no links, I get many identical answers If I try to link the tables, using what appears to be sensible, same name, fields - I get no answers.

Table 1 has two fields, IDField plus one field.
    Table 2 has a number of fields including the IDField of the first table and the IDField of the 3rd table.
    Table 3 (Master1) has many fields including the IDFields of the first 2 tables and the required answer in the query "FullName"
    Tables 1 and 2 are joined by the IDField of Table 1.

I thought I was quite good at queries but this concatenated field is proving to be difficult. Leon

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    rather than describing with generic names (and the description is confusing) provide some sample data and the outcome required from that data. Would also help if you show your relationships and explain what you mean by a 'concatenated field'

So why can you not join table 2 with table 3 by ID field of 3rd table?
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Welshgasman - Thanks for that - I have tried joining table 2 and table 3 via the IDField of table 3. I get no results. I have tried joining table 2 to table 3 using the ISField of table 2. I get no results.
    Ajax in his message above asks for more clarity of field names - ie do not use generics. That is what I will do in my next post. Thanks, Leon

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    A pic of the query design window would probably help a lot. Make sure we can see the tables and necessary field names plus the design grid criteria (if possible) if you post it.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ajax - thank you for your comments. My apologies for not using specific field names. This I will correct.

Hello! I am writing a query based on 3 tables. The first 2 tables provide all the information I need, except 1 field (FullName). That field is in another table. It is a Concatenated field (FullName). Running the query with the 2 tables works well but, obviously, no FullName field. If I add the 3rd table with no links, I get many identical answers If I try to link the tables, using what appears to be sensible, same name, fields - I get no answers.

Table 1 (MethodT) has two fields, IDMethod plus one field called Method.
    Table 2 (MeetingsT has a number of fields including the IDMethod of the first table and the IDMaster1 of the 3rd table.
    Table 3 (Master1) has many fields including the IDFields of the first 2 tables( IDMethod and IDMeetings) and the required answer in the query in a field name "FullName"
    Tables 1 (MethodT) and 2 (MeetingsT) are joined by the IDField (IDMethod) of Table 1 (MethodT).

In the Master1 table, the field FullName is produced by concatenating the Salutation field and the FamilyName field. I use Salutation rather that GivenName as sometimes there is a "William" who is known as "Bill". Therefore the FullName is not William Smith but Bill Smith.

The result of my query should produce FullName, Description*, StartTime*, EndTime*, Priority*, Method*. The fields marked * are being produced correctly, until I add in the Master1 table to provide the FullName.

I have had an error message saying that I cannot link using a concatenated field.

I hope this helps. Leon - Images will follow in my next post

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Here are the images, as requested:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MeetingsQ.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	46236

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DataViewFromMeetingsQ.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	208.8 KB 
ID:	46237

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    That is a Cartesian query so yes, you'll get too many results. Unfortunately the pic doesn't help me - can't see what to join master on. Is there an IDMaster1 field in meetings and Master?
    Or should you be joining IDMethod to IDMethod between meetings and master? I have no idea what the relationships are between those tables. If you've tried all of those options and cannot get results it means that there is no relationship between Master1 and one or both of the other tables. Since there's no criteria, I can't think of any other cause.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

I'm now even more confused - you said in your first post 'I need, except 1 field (FullName). That field is an another table.'. But I see Fullname in MeetingsT

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ajax - my apologies. I may well have added FullName to MeetingsT in the vain hope that it would be filled and I could use it. The only place that FullName works properly is in Master1, where it is a concatenated field (from Salutation and FamilyName). But, if I try to connect to FullName in Mster1, I get an error message telling me that I cannot link to a concatenated field. I was using FullName in MeetingsT hoping that it would no longer be recognised as concatenated.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Micron - Please find attached a copy of the latest table relationships. I hope this helps. LeonClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Relationships19-09-2021.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	46249

it may be a concatenation calculation, but what you are using is a calculated field - and they have their limitations - for example you can't join on them and you can't index them.

I have tried joining table 2 and table 3 via the IDField of table 3. I get no results.
    what does 'get no results' mean? From the image in post#7 you are getting results but all 'people', not just one, So assuming your IDField are called IDMaster1 (per your relationships) a join should result in just 1 name per meeting, not 4

June7 is online now VIP
    Why don't you just provide the db? Follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ajax - Many thanks for that!!! You may well have cracked it! I made the bold presumption that being concatenated it was, by its very nature, calculated!! I shall work on that. Thank you, Leon

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ajax - DONE!!! Thank you so much for that help!! I had a bit of a problem changing a Calculated Field to a ShortText field - the system said NO! But I fixed it!! Now I have a FullName field out of the Query. I think that solves the problem. Thank you so much! Leon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.