bcarter17 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2007

Access and Fairbanks Scales

Has anyone either had experience or heard how a weights and scales company like Fairbanks could pass weight information into a MS Access form? We are using Access for outbound loads of rock and would like the form to pickup the weight from the scales without having to manually type it in every load.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Scale can be an input peripheral like a keyboard, mouse, stylus, etc, if manufacturer has designed it to be one - USB or bluetooth or network. With proper connection, focus on control bound to field, click button on scale to register weight and send value. I tested this several years ago - it worked but the driver software from scale manufacturer was complicated and expensive.

Have you talked to manufacturer?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2007
    We have had a service tech out here on other issues and we have talked to him about it. Of course, they are told to push their proprietary software but he said they can do a push to another application. I was really thinking something simple like, could they drop the weight into a text file, or a comma delimited file where I could simply link access to that dropped file.

This wasn't a necessity, we have the digital readout only a foot away from the PC. It's just of a nice to have, easier for the operator, and does take away the possibility of a data entry error.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I believe there is a way for Access to communicate with com ports (MSCOMM32.OCX?) but I've never done it. However, you didn't say if it was a usb port or what. Just thought I'd mention the file in case it helps.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2007
    The tech from Fairbanks mentioned possibly needing a parallel or serial port, or a USB/(Parallel Serial) adapter.

davegri is online now Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bcarter17 View Post
    The tech from Fairbanks mentioned possibly needing a parallel or serial port, or a USB/(Parallel Serial) adapter.
    You probably have neither a parallel (old printer type port) or serial port on your computer. I have used Parallel to USB adapter cables (a few years ago) successfully to connect parallel printers.
    Looking at your scales, the serial port input would be a small 9 pin connector, while the parallel port would be much wider and a bit taller different looking port. You can probably find images on the net.

June7 is online now VIP
    I seemed to remember exploring that to get around the proprietary driver software but don't remember being successful. Think the coding was beyond me.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    I know nothing on your particular setup, but a quick googlebing found these links

may be wrong model, but perhaps a place to start
    https://pocketprograms.com/kb/what-a...al-connection/

this looks more promising - how to connect to your db
    https://www.aggsoft.com/scale-balanc...53-4-scale.htm

and these
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/fo...-ms-access-vba
    http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/serialport.htm

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    This was common back in the days that IBM XTs were the the king.....

I found:
    Keyboard wedge software for RS-232 and USB interfaces

Read/Write to serial port using VBA-Excel (with code)

Windows 10 Access 2007
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0224.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	185.7 KB 
ID:	46172Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0223.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	271.7 KB 
ID:	46173

davegri is online now Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Looks like an ethernet port and 2 usb ports.
    Looking at the 7100 manual that I found on the internet, it appears that the usb ports are for connecting the unit to various printers.
    To connect the usb port to a PC, device driver software would be required, provided by Faribanks, but I could find no reference to such.
    There were instruction on how to connect the ethernet port to a PC browser, but NOTHING on what could be done with the connection once established.
    There must be many, many users who wish to connect the scales to send data to a PC, and Fairbanks support must be aware of this.
    I think your best bet is to return to Faribanks support with your request. Make it a formal request via support ticket.

Edit: This also provides some helpful information:

How to Connect an Electronic Balance or Scale to a PC and Read Weight Values Directly Into Excel : 8 Steps - Instructables
    Last edited by davegri; 09-10-2021 at 09:53 AM. Reason: see Edit

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.