bcarter17 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2007

Refreshing a field on a form

I know, for sure, there has to be an easy answer to this one, but for the sake of me I can't get my efforts to work. We have a form that we create load tickets on for outbound drivers. Ownership is asking if we could put a counter on the form showing how many loads we have shipped for the current date. I can query and count the ticket numbers for the current date and get the number. I can then show that number on a hidden form whenever the ticket form is open, and I can then create a text box to show the number from the query/hidden form on the the ticket form. However, I cannot get it to refresh. I have tried various combinations of requery, refresh, etc. but I have not gotten anything to work. I was trying to run code off of a timer event every 10 seconds, but to no avail.

Can someone light the path for me, I know I have done this in the past but my mind if a blank on how to fix this.....

Gicu is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Have you tried using a dCount as the control source for the text box (say txtTodaysLoads) on the form and in the Timer event of the form use Me.txtTodaysLoads.Requery?

Code:
    txtTodaysLoads.ControlSource=dCount("*","tblLoads","[LoadDate]=#" & Date() & "#")
    Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I have tried various combinations of requery, refresh, etc.
    there is also recalc

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/off...ss.form.recalc
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Why do this on a timer? It can be a resource hog and continues to fire when the form is open and everyone is at lunch (if you get my point). Refresh the control on the form AfterInsert event and if you will restrict the counter update to newly added records. If the form is unbound, use whatever event saves the record. If the info (count) isn't current then it's not that vital - but that might be OK for the process. Besides, it's far less code than writing a timer event for this, not to mention that when Boss says "I want it every 5 minutes" you're not going into form design or table data and changing the timer interval.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Gicu is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Not sure about the OP's specific setup but in a multi-user environment my counter being refreshed just on AfterInsert would be off if a my coworkers just added a bunch of loads while I was having my break. In my opinion in this case to have a more accurate visual count using the timer event is more appropriate, and doing a simple dCount shouldn't be that taxing on the modern hardware.

Just my 2 cents....
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.