Pawtang is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Office 365

Updating distributed front end: trusted location problem

I'm using some .bat code I found on these forums from a few years ago to compare user's front ends to the master front end:

Code:
    @echo off
    REM file used to automatically update the Database when updates are available.
    if not exist %userprofile%\appdata\local\redirect\ui1.3.2013.accdr echo Database needs to update to newer version.
    if not exist %userprofile%\appdata\local\redirect\ui1.3.2013.accdr pause
    @echo off
    if not exist %userprofile%\appdata\local\redirect\ui1.3.2013.accdr if exist %userprofile%\appdata\local\redirect\ui*.accdr del %userprofile%\appdata\local\redirect\ui*.accdr

if not exist %userprofile%\appdata\local\redirect\ui1.3.2013.accdr Robocopy \\DUI_NAS\data\database %userprofile%\appdata\local\redirect ui1.3.2013.accdr

Start MSAccess.exe /runtime %userprofile%\appdata\local\redirect\ui1.3.2013.accdr

Exit
    It does its job well, but if I run it on a test computer I get a warning about the location not being trusted every time. I know you can manually add that location to trusted for each computer, but I'd rather do it as part of the batch if possible. Anyone done this successfully before?

Alternatively, if there is a better approach that does not run into this issue, I am happy to try that as well. I was a bit confused by the approaches that are self-contained in Access as they tend to be much more complicated.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    they made to prevent hackers from giving themselves rights.
    I'd say you must do it on every pc.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    When I distribute apps from my website, these are supplied as an installation EXE file created by professional installer software.
    This allow me to set trusted location as part of the install process. As a result, the location is trusted before users first open the Access app.

The install script also includes code to compare version numbers and the new file is only installed if the version number is higher.
    See my example app Web Version Checker
    Last edited by isladogs; 09-08-2021 at 01:49 PM.

Pawtang is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post
    they made to prevent hackers from giving themselves rights.
    I'd say you must do it on every pc.
    Since I expect to get to a relatively stable version and then only make changes rarely from that point out, I may just go update the file version manually on the 5 computers that use it to ensure everything is done properly. I can't get support from IT here for a custom project anyway so my ability to distribute to 5 computers that all have different environments is limited at best...

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.