Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    davegri is online now Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    So that is better? Or is it just different?
    As I mentioned, an alternate.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    NOW I get the cat reference. At first I thought it was one-upper statement!
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

davegri is online now Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    NOW I get the cat reference. At first I thought it was one-upper statement!
    Well, don't get me wrong - I would never do that!

moke123 is online now Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by ssanfu View Post
    Those concepts still hasn't clicked for me ....... (1 of many concepts)
    It's one of those things you try and fail on, get frustrated by, and give up on, many times.

But then there's that one snippet of code you come across....

edit: I just looked back at the thread where it clicked for me. I thought it was a long time ago, but I guess not.
    https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...ntrols.309240/
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

Another requirement I believe for classes, is you have to look far ahead to see what you need to build.?

Bit like having preconstructed modules to build a house, rather than brick by brick.?
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    RE: Classes
    I'd still like to find a video(youtube) that deals with Access class modules with some examples. Starting with some discussion of concepts and "why/where" classes could/should be applied. Followed by a step by step development of a few examples from very simple to increasingly complex.
    If you know of such video(s), or good reference materials please add links.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Welshgasman View Post
    Another requirement I believe for classes, is you have to look far ahead to see what you need to build.?

Bit like having preconstructed modules to build a house, rather than brick by brick.?
    I don't have enough experience with custom classes to say whether or not that is accurate for any case. As for the user class I referred to, if you found that you needed another property it would be a simple matter of adding Property Get and Let procedures, so about 6 lines of code and it's done. Maybe that's not always the case.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

I don't have enough experience with custom classes to say whether or not that is accurate for any case. As for the user class I referred to, if you found that you needed another property it would be a simple matter of adding Property Get and Let procedures, so about 6 lines of code and it's done. Maybe that's not always the case.
    That is the beauty of classes, but to construct them, I still think you need to think ahead as to what you will require.? If you build a set of classes for all your objects, users, transactions, locations, etc, then life would be good.? It is knowing that you need them up front, and then have the capability to create them.

I know the theory, but have never created any, used a few, and unlikely to ever need one now. :-)
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

moke123 is online now Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    RE: Classes
    I'd still like to find a video(youtube) that deals with Access class modules with some examples. Starting with some discussion of concepts and "why/where" classes could/should be applied. Followed by a step by step development of a few examples from very simple to increasingly complex.
    If you know of such video(s), or good reference materials please add links.
    I agree. Thats part of the problem is that there seems to be so few good practical examples. Very hard to find.

One reason I use them, in some cases, is to have full control over all the events and input.
    Another reason is for portability. I have custom classes for datepickers, timepickers, navbars, and more.
    The final, most important reason is I have fun fiquring them out and I learn something new almost everytime. (I really need a life )

Heres one for a picklist. It only requires about 3 lines of code in your form to function.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

Amyfb is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    Amyfb,

If you are looking for tutorials on specific topics, I highly recommend these youtube series by

Steve Bishop
    Richard Rost

Here are many articles and tutorials on Database Planning and Design and more.
    I am binge watching Steve Bishop and really enjoying his presentations.
    Richard I had skimmed through, and I look forward to drilling into the link of many articles and tutorials that you shared.

thanks!

Windows 10 Office 365
    Classes, collections, modules and the rest of it , for me, has a lot of similarities to business modeling - starting at the 30K foot view and drilling deeper into the granularities.

I’m working backwards from my business model to help define all the different objects I am going to want. I’ve got a bit of basics on one hand, an intellectual grokking on the other and a strong desire to absorb a pattern in the construction of it all.

Keeping track of the same variable as it moves from one object to another is the part that I’m battling the most. And here I ‘m sure there must be a mnemonic or pattern or something that I can use….. or not….maybe it’s just alot of practice makes progress and nothing else.

It’s interesting challenge that I like.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Keeping track of the same variable as it moves from one object to another is the part that I’m battling
    That must mean something different to me than you because - it never happens the way I interpret that.

The closest parallel I can draw from that is variables being passed to functions either via ByRef or ByVal. Or maybe you need to delve into variable scope if you're really "passing them around".

I suppose if you explain we might be able to help one way or the other.

Windows 10 Office 365
    That must mean something different to me than you because - it never happens the way I interpret that.

The closest parallel I can draw from that is variables being passed to functions either via ByRef or ByVal. Or maybe you need to delve into variable scope if you're really "passing them around".

I suppose if you explain we might be able to help one way or the other.
    I guess it’s about the way the same data point has a different name(variable) depending on where it came from, where it is now, where it is going, and how it’s going to get there, and where it might stop on the way. Not sure if that is any better an explanation for how I’m trying to process and organize all this information.

Windows 10 Office 365
    I want to report back to say that further study of materials I'd breezed through has been a big help. My naming conventions were sloppy, and that was most of the trouble. Practice makes progress; I'm getting there. Thanks for all the input; I like how this site gives me lots of good stuff to think about.
    cheers,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.