Blings is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Office 365

Why did you start developing in Microsoft Access?

Hey everyone

Why did you start developing in Microsoft Access?
    How long have you been developing in Access?

Are you a developer in any other languages?

I started learning Access to build a database for my father-in-laws business which has revolutionised the business especially from client reports.

I’ve been developing in Access specifically daily since May 2020.

I’m also able to build in PHP / JavaScript, HTML & CSS.

I would not say I develop/ed in Access per se.
    I started using it to create the data for http://www.bibby-gazette.co.uk/

Since then I have used it in various places of work, to make the process easier for colleagues. Made good use of forums such as these to overcome my mistakes.
    I also used it to make my life as a SSAFA Divisional Treasurer much easier. Had to give that up when SSAFA decided everything need to be done manually again.

I am retired now, so no real need for it anymore, but like to see what others are trying to do now. Sometimes I can help on the simple things.

I am an old DPS7 Cobol programmer. I did dabble in Foxpro, many years ago, just like I dabble in Access now.
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    since ver. 1.0, 20+ years.

I thought, what an easy way to get the data out that we need. (while working for a company that used DOS based database)

davegri is offline Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post
    since ver. 1.0, 20+ years.

I thought, what an easy way to get the data out that we need. (while working for a company that used DOS based database)
    Same here. I was using a flat file DOS database program called File Express. After I upgraded my Columbia PC to a hard disk drive (20MB drive, cost me $600.00) I felt I had a bottomless pit for storage and installed Access 2.0 from the Microsoft 5 1/4" distribution floppies. I think it was 1994. I haven't looked back since.
    Last edited by davegri; 08-09-2021 at 08:41 PM.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I started out with dBase III, then switched to Access 2.0, Access 95, Access 97, Access 2000, then Access 2010.
    On the Mac, I converted an Excel spreadsheet to FileMaker Pro (took a year to figure out how to make it do what I needed). Couldn't do it again if my life depended on it.

I’ve also written a few small programs with BASIC, a ballistics program using Turbo Pascal and a couple of web sites using HTML 5 and NotePad (ages ago).

kd2017 is offline Well, I tried at least.
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Started with access 2016 way back in... 2017! Dabbled with it to help out with some tasks in my otherwise unrelated to IT day job.

Before that I spent way to many nights as a teen playing in html, css, vb6, php, mysql, JavaScript, c++, c#, ruby, and now python. and I'll throw gcode in there because why not?

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I started with a database program in the 90's. IIRC it was part of suite a called Ability Plus but I also used an accounting program around that time which was called Account Ability, so I may not be remembering correctly. I moved on to Access 2.0, Access 95, Access97, Access2000, Access2003, Access2016 and now Access2019.
    It all started because I wanted to keep details of my customers and their orders on a computer.
    Started with a rather hefty Amstrad "Luggable" with a tiny green screen. I remember have the more expensive model that had TWO 3.5inch floppy disc drives. I had one of those drives replace with a massive 20mb hard drive that cost more than the computer had cost. I believe the total cost was around £700 pounds back then.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Amyfb is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Office 365
    I have stuck my toe in the Access puddle many times over the last 20 years, but ended up stymied at the code and/or macros needed to make truly effective forms for users.

Just recently I have had a project worth the effort of getting smarter about the software and its possibilities and my past experience made for a good table and relationships design. Getting data cleaned and imported works fine, and I can query the tables for the handful of reports I want.

Now I’m studying and practicing VBA to help me with the forms side of things. I’ve dabbled in HTML and PHP, and SQL. MCode for excel’s power query is another fun code that has SQL exposure underneath. Online how-to is my primary educational source, no formal training on any of it. Topic specific forums , such as this one, are a treasured resource.

DittoBird is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I've been a facilities maintenance management guy since I left the Canadian army (armour officer) in the very early 1990s, though after my first regimental posting, because I was an engineer, I got involved in research and learned and used dBase III+ (and Lotus 1-2-3 along with Harvard Graphics, GW-BAsic, etc!) and was introduced to Oracle. I started with MS Access 2.0 (I think) in 1997 when the computerized maintenance management system I implemented, directed, and managed switched to an Oracle back end from an Omnis file server database. Our Oracle DBA showed me ODBC connections as a great way to make ad hoc reports and trouble shoot issues with our off the shelf CMMS from a company that had difficulties with the concept of "relational database".

I got most of my "training" from the old usenet group, comp.databases.ms-access; there were some real giants there.

I eventually found using Oracle SQL and PL/SQL passthrough queries directly via Access was more efficient. I had worked with Oracle before as well as dBase III+ and IV. I also had great fun with Mac stuff using STELLA (1988-89) and a year of Filemaker Pro in 93/94.

I've done lots in Oracle mostly using Enterprise in an administrative role or when I wanted to create new tables, users (mostly used SQL Plus there), and PL/SQL. Also to create/alter sequences and loading from spreadsheets. But most of my Oracle work was with an Access front end. I'm currently working with Access and Jet/ACE to catalogue equipment and assets along our coasts while the organization I am part of - which has never had a CMMS - tries to implement SAP.

I've messed with javascript for roll20 game campaigns, but apart from Oracle, I'm a one trick pony with MS Access.
    --
    Tim

I began piddling with coding in the early 80s, various flat file systems, a word processor called Word Star that used "dot commands" like .Print and .Prompt to build simple document assy routines. Then on to databases like Condor 3, dBase III, DataPerfect and, on the day it was released, Microsoft Access. I have built several small apps with Access plus a complete law office mgmt system, a software analysis program that turned Marine Corps PowerBuilder code into data and evaluated it for errors, etc. and a Secure CypherText Messaging system.

I love Access and VBA and am excited to watch the progress of TwinBASIC. Despite my decades of experience, I still learn something new almost every day or re-learn something I had forgotten. No one knows it all and you should never be shy about asking for help.

I have been using Access since 1997 with Access 97. I had previously used R:Base which was a relational database in DOS that did not make the transition to Windows. I had a working database design and program but I had to port it over to Access and VBA. My only programming experience was with Fortran in college on punch cards and then with WordStar mail merges, Lotus 1-2-3 and R:Base. Since I was a teenager I collected music of all types that I originally kept organized on 5x7 index cards. In 1998 I had my first "usable" Access database for my Music Collection. That database remained stagnant while I transitioned from Business Management into Photography. My wife, son and I do stock photography, along with wildlife, landscape and architecture. It was a perfect storm as the transition from film to digital was just starting. My first computer was an IBM-XT with a huge 10MB hard drive!!! I thought I would NEVER use all of that space! Now just one photograph averages 250Mb in size and we have several 26Tb Thunderbolt 3 G-Drive for image and video storage.

I had no fear opening up the cover and turbocharging that XT. As a teenager I also built Heathkits, everything from a clock radio to a microwave oven and a weather station or two. Every since then I have built every PC from the ground up. When we moved into our current residence 21 years ago I hard wired an Ethernet network. I am currently updating my Music Manager, Address Book and Network Log applications (ditching the switchboard forms for custom menus and also updating forms and reports) Now I am working on two collection databases one for our Department 56 Snow Village collection and another for my wife's Lighthouse collection. I still have quite a bit to learn with Access and VBA but this forum (I just joined a month ago) and The Access Computer Learning Center which I discovered 2 years ago have been a great help in getting me back into the Access world.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.