templeowls is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

DCount for current entry in form?

Hi, I've attached an example database to explain better. I've got a DB full of complaints and a form that examines each complaint one by one. I'd like for the form to display a number of how many total complaints we have in the DB for the customer shown. In the example I have a DCount which shows all complaints in the query, but I can't seem to do the criteria piece right to have it zero in on the CustomerID listed in the current entry that is being viewed. I tried:

Code:
    =DCount("*","qryComplaints","Me.CustomerID")
    But that errored out. Any idea?
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    =DCount("*","tblComplaints","CustomerID=" & [CustomerID])

Why isn't CustomerID a number type field, not text?

If it must be text:

=DCount("*","tblComplaints","CustomerID='" & [CustomerID] & "'")

Me only works in VBA procedures.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    That worked!! Thank you!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Actually one other question...some complaints don't have a customer ID. They just state "N/A".

As a result, the dCount still quantifies these "N/A"s but its not really needed. Is there any way to add into the the DCount criteria that if the CustomerID is "N/A", it should just display "N/A"?

kd2017 is offline Well, I tried at least.
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Something here doesn't smell right. As june mentioned, the customerID should probably be a number, and unique within the customer table. If there is no customer id for the complaint table you should probably leave it null and not "N/A"... but anyway
    Code:
    =IIf([CustomerID]="N/A","N/A",DCount("*","tblComplaints","CustomerID='" & [CustomerID] & "'"))

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by kd2017 View Post
    Something here doesn't smell right. As june mentioned, the customerID should probably be a number, and unique within the customer table. If there is no customer id for the complaint table you should probably leave it null and not "N/A"... but anyway
    Code:
    =IIf([CustomerID]="N/A","N/A",DCount("*","tblComplaints","CustomerID='" & [CustomerID] & "'"))
    Thank you! Yea its a bit weird. Sometimes we get complaints that aren't from a singular person or even a customer. For instance, a random person submitted a complaint that our landscaping was subpar. They weren't a customer and the prior regime just marked those folks as "N/A" for their customerID. Hence, why the field is not a number. This DB also has all historical data and our prior POS had the customerIDs contain letters as well. Again, hence why the field is not a number

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.