drumhellar is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Question Single workstation getting ODBC connection to error

I want to start out by saying I have no prior experience with MS Access. I have taken an SQL course at the local state college, a couple of years ago, and that's whole of my database experience.

I'm also new at my job as the company's only IT guy (It's also my first IT gig! Hooray!) Everything I know about Access I've learned in the past month. Everything I know about ODBC I learned in the past couple of hours.

So, the situation:
    I have a MySQL server running, which among other things stores supply requests from our 17 pizza franchise locations. I have an MS Access form where I can click an embedded print button, and it prints the current supply request form and moves on to the next.

This works on multiple workstations, except Frank's. Poor Frank. He has a hard enough time with computers.

When loading the Access file, it gives an error on his system: "ODBC Connection to <location> failed" giving the full location of the .mdb file on the file server.

Looking at the .mdb file, I was able to determine which ODBC was being requested, and I installed it (MySQL ODBC 5.2 ANSI Driver). I tested the connection by adding a User DSN with the login info, and the test passed.

On the working computers, there is no MySQL source listed in the User DSN, System DSN, or File DSN tabs. The driver is listed in the Drivers tab; I have a few extra on my workstation because I have MS SQL installed, but the problem computer doesn't.

Either way, when i do a trace I can see which dll is loaded (myodbc5a.dll), and that exists on the non-functioning computer. Running a trace on the broken computer doesn't get that far; it errors out much sooner.

Any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    When loading the Access file, it gives an error on his system: "ODBC Connection to <location> failed" giving the full location of the .mdb file on the file server.
    The MDB file should be local, not on the file server, unless this is a typo?

If you open the DB on his Machine while holding down the shift key, can you see any of the linked MySQL tables?
    If not can you add one of them manually ?
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.