Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DittoBird is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Getting Image EXIF Information Through Access VBA

Sorry, having an awful time with the images here. Why won't this site let me delete images and replace them? Hopefully you can figure out what images are what.

Hi folks, I've been searching for a few days on this and the most promising approach, using WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) seems to be no longer supported my MS (see top of https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/pre...aaut-startpage). The information that I can find is above my level of experience.

For example, the code here (https://myengineeringworld.net/2018/...ixels-vba.html) works nicely - but still uses WIA. Further, I don't know how to find the various properties that will give me all the information in this screen shot, particularly Date Taken, program used to process it (GIMP in this case), and camera used.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageDatas.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	45833

Other methods that don't use WIA are confusing to me.

With or without WIA, can anyone help?

Background is I am making an inventory of equipment and space of numerous marine related sites and on some visits, I take 500+ images. It is a very onerous time drain to data enter "2 June 2021", "iPhone 7", "GIMP Resize + 1.4 gamma correction" for each image I identify on a form/table and the ability to just draw similar information from each photo would be a tremendous time saver in the field.

Name:	ImageData2s.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	45834

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    --

Tim
    Last edited by DittoBird; 07-24-2021 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Smaller images

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    You haven't stated what data you want from each photo

I have an example app which extracts the geolocation info from the EXIF data in photos. See Get Geolocation From Photos - Mendip Data Systems

This uses a modified version of code originally by Wayne Phillips of EverythingAccess.com: Access/VBA Tutorials - Extracting GPS data from JPEG files (everythingaccess.com)

If that's not what you want, then another possibility is to look at the extended file properties for your photos (as can be seen by right clicking in Explorer)
    I also have an example app for that: Extended File Properties - Mendip Data Systems.
    This is an example of the extended file properties data from a photo taken on my phone:

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	45830

Hope that helps
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

June7 is offline VIP
    Can use Shell manipulation to get a lot of file properties https://www.devhut.net/2018/10/23/vb...imensions-etc/
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

The site will allow you to delete images after posting. In fact I often do so where the image is very large
    However, the whole process of adding or removing images is clunky...Advanced...Manage Attachments...Tick the image to include...untick to remove.

I've also tried dragging images to insert them. This works on many forums.
    At first it appears to work here as well, but when you try to send the post you get an error message about exceeding 50,000 characters or similar
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Can use Shell manipulation to get a lot of file properties https://www.devhut.net/2018/10/23/vb...imensions-etc/
    Thank you very much, but that was one of the sites I didn't quite understand. LOL on me.

All the best.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
    The site will allow you to delete images after posting. In fact I often do so where the image is very large
    However, the whole process of adding or removing images is clunky...Advanced...Manage Attachments...Tick the image to include...untick to remove.

I've also tried dragging images to insert them. This works on many forums.
    At first it appears to work here as well, but when you try to send the post you get an error message about exceeding 50,000 characters or similar
    Thank you Colin. I'll look at that in a moment - am I right in assuming no images appeared? One of them was:

Name:	ImageDatas.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	45831

When I look at the screen and my question, I see two images of the above and two other images of the following as "attachments".

Name:	ImageData2s.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	45832

As for your answer to myt question, thank you again, I will look at your third attachment, I think.

All the best.

I can see both of those images in post #1. What you see and I see should be identical.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I can see both of those images in post #1. What you see and I see should be identical.
    Well, I just managed to delete them as far as I can tell. What I was seeing was "Attachments" at the bottom of my message. The first screen shots I used were huge and I resized them and uploaded again, so under attachments I saw 4 instead of 2. I'll go back and add the pics again, they are 105 and 85 kb in size. I don't think that'd too huge?

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Name:	ForumDelete.jpg 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	45836

Note the delete x at the top right of the image icon. Have to mouse over it to see that IIRC.
    Start with Advanced toolbar, image icon. Look for Additional Options form below your post. Click "manage attachments"
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi Colin,

It's working great. Thank you so much. As I only need a few bits of data, I've added the Shell Controls and automation reference and here's an example. I know there's LOTS more you have available, of course.

Thanks again.

Code:
    Function fImageData(strFilePath As String, lngType As Long) As String

On Error GoTo Err_Proc

Dim strFileName As String
        Dim strPath As String

Dim objShell As shell32.Shell
        Dim objFolder As shell32.Folder
        Dim objFolderItem As shell32.FolderItem

Dim strPropName As String
        Dim strPropValue As String

strFileName = Mid(strFilePath, InStrRev(strFilePath, "\") + 1)
        strPath = Left(strFilePath, Len(strFilePath) - Len(strFileName) - 1)

Set objShell = New Shell
        Set objFolder = objShell.NameSpace(strPath)
        Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName(strFileName)

strPropName = objFolder.GetDetailsOf(objFolder.Items, lngType)
        strPropValue = objFolder.GetDetailsOf(objFolderItem, lngType)

fImageData = strPropName & ": " & strPropValue

Exit_Proc:
        Set objShell = Nothing
        Set objFolder = Nothing
        Set objFolderItem = Nothing
        Exit Function
    Err_Proc:
        Select Case Err.Number
            Case Else
                MsgBox "Error in ModImageData, fImageData " & Err.Number & " " & Err.Description, vbCritical, "Error", Err.HelpFile, Err.HelpContext
                Resume Exit_Proc
        End Select

End Function
    Last edited by DittoBird; 07-25-2021 at 01:30 AM.

Excellent. Glad I could help.
    I see you've recently updated the last post as you were originally having problems with the ParseName line. How did you fix that issue?

As you say, you can get a lot of info from the extended file properties including:
    - height, width, bit depth, horiz/vert resolution, camera model & make, date taken, exposure time, f-stop, flash mode, orientation ....etc

I found that editing an image in e.g. Paint also has the side effect of stripping out the many of the camera-specific properties including camera model / maker etc

Its a great pity that the geolocation info isn't available under extended file properties but, as previously stated, I can get details such as latitude, longitude, altitude, camera orientation from the EXIF data of JPG photos by another method

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Excellent. Glad I could help.
    I see you've recently updated the last post as you were originally having problems with the ParseName line. How did you fix that issue?
    I'm embarrassed to say that I had Dimmed the three obj variables as just "object" . Derp.

I found that editing an image in e.g. Paint also has the side effect of stripping out the many of the camera-specific properties including camera model / maker etc
    Ow, will have to keep that in mind. I normally use Corel at home, but at work I'm using GIMP which I had heard of for many years and I am surprised at how good it is.

Its a great pity that the geolocation info isn't available under extended file properties but, as previously stated, I can get details such as latitude, longitude, altitude, camera orientation from the EXIF data of JPG photos by another method
    I believe it can be done using the WIA library, but as I mentioned to June7 I am a bit worried about using that given the MS message about not keeping the documentation up-to-date. All of our sites already have pretty precise coordinates for buildings, transformers, even flag poles, LOL.

Thanks again.

No. Geolocation data isn't available from the WIA library. That's why I use a different approach with native code written by Wayne Phillips.
    You might be interested in this thread showing how/why I created my photo geolocation app (1) Obtain geolocation data from Image | Access World Forums (access-programmers.co.uk)

daolix is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2007
    WIA is GDIP, and that can do all the EXIF/GPS stuff.

Hi @daolix
    Long time no see.....hope you are doing well.

I've learnt a lot from your posts and never known you to be wrong.
    However, I've been unable to find any reference to GPS data in WIA. I've also no idea what GDIP is....

In other words, that's all totally over my head. Please can you elucidate!

Have you seen how I used Wayne Phillips' code to get geolocation info from EXIF data. See links in post #2. For example:

Name:	Screenshot 2021-07-26 191433.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	186.7 KB 
ID:	45845

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.