rickk16 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Field will not be moved issue

I am trying to link the back end of my database to SharePoint, but I am getting the error "Certain fields (like 'binary' fields and SharePoint 'read-only' fields) cannot be migrated." The field being affected is called "Created By," and it is a number field with a row source connecting an employee ID to their name. A column for it is created in SharePoint, but it cannot be edited and it changed all the employee IDs in the Created By field to 9 in Access. What is causing this issue? Also, I get multiple "Field values will not be auto-generated" errors, would Access still enforce autonumbering while creating records in the desktop app? If not would I have to use data macros as a workaround?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I don't use sharepoint but this comment

it is a number field with a row source connecting an employee ID to their name.
    implies the field is read only so this

"Certain fields (like 'binary' fields and SharePoint 'read-only' fields) cannot be migrated."
    will apply

this

it changed all the employee IDs in the Created By field to 9 in Access.
    suggests to me that since it is calculated it is applied to all records. Does 9 have any significance to you? such as the ID of the employee of the first record?

would Access still enforce autonumbering while creating records in the desktop app?
    No - autonumber is a factor of the back end and you are not using the access backend (jet or ace) you are using sharepoint - so that would be something you would need to look to sharepoint to enforce

If not would I have to use data macros as a workaround?
    don't know, I doubt an access macro would work and as previously said, I don't use sharepoint but perhaps that has a macro or some sort of rule to maintain the list

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.