Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GraeagleBill is offline Experienced Old Geezer
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit

Grove Music Player

I have a rather large classical music library catalog app from where I'd like to launch a music player, Windows Grove Music Player sound quality would be fine for my purposes. All I really need is the control panel as one sees with Grove. I've found the apisndPlaySound so I can launch a wav or mp3 file from my Access form, but there's no control panel.

Any suggestions?

Sample:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sample.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	45596

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I presume you mean Groove? There is a Windows Media Player Control in Access (ActiveX controls list) which I seem to remember using once - just for fun. I know of nothing pertaining to the Groove player. IIRC you use the URL property to choose the sound file.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    FWIW, on one of my PCs which has Access 2010 & 365, there are a HUGE number of available references to Groove related items including these:

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	44 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	45602

However, I've never used any of them.
    Oddly, another PC with A365 only has none of these Groove items

I do have an Access app that uses Media Player for audio & video though I haven't used it in years. It does have a control panel

Name:	Capture2.PNG 
Views:	46 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	45603
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Interesting. So is the prognosis 'use them now, lose them later'?
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

No idea. IIRC, MS bought Groove from another company, incorporated it into Office and then it appears quietly dropped it again as they did with InfoPath etc.
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!

All I could find for Groove in the reference lib for A2013 was the Groove Site Client.

Name:	000.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	45617

Most of what I've found so far doesn't provide a simple interface where one can call giving an album path and is greeted with a navigation pane with player controls.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    You are saying that WMP control panel isn't good enough? I realize it's pretty mundane but it seems to have the controls you need. If you provide some sort of media file selection capability (combo(s), listbox, file dialog, etc.) and maybe a command button, what would be wrong with that? I'm thinking you have your heart set on the Groove player perhaps.

I'm thinking you have your heart set on the Groove player perhaps.
    Not at all.

Below is a snippet screenshot of the app that manages my classical music library. All I want to do is click on what I want to listen to via my computer files, some WAV and some Mp3, and pass to a player. Symphonies, for example, are comprised of typically of 4 movements, so the player needs to accept a folder and treat it like an album and play all of its tracks.

Views:	30 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	45619

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Interesting. If you reference media player, you can research the object and its properties and methods. F'rinstance, there is a CurrentPlaylist property, so maybe you could build a playlist based on user selections and apply that to the property. No idea if that property is a delimited string, array, collection or what but I find it intriguing. Nor do I know if these properties apply to the control on a form or if you have to create a wmp object and work with that. The fact that many of the library properties are not on the property sheet for the control doesn't mean that they are not exposed when using a control. Some controls have properties that are not on the sheet.

I have much of that music on file but don't listen to it too often. I tend to go through phases.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Must run out now, but in the meantime I searched ms access control windows media player. Lots of results, started reading this but don't have time right now.
    http://fmsinc.com/MicrosoftAccess/mo...ediaPlayer.htm

I've been Googling my way around to where I'm meeting myself going the other way. First, in my A2010 Pro reference lib, I don't see any reference to the ActiveX controls?

Views:	28 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	45625

I've not been unsuccessful in finding specific documentation relating to the Object model methods and properties, only that they exist and can be used in a variety of program platforms. Maybe I'm expecting the wrong think, like Dim WMP as OBJ and Set WMP = Application.?????? WMP.Playlist = blah blah OnEndPlay...... Event Procedure

Like you, I had found fmsinc.com, but that looked like store where one would buy a package of general modules to support the use of ActiveX controls???

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I don't see any reference to the ActiveX controls?
    Not sure what you mean by that. Windows Media Player library is right in your pic but ActiveX controls are not a library reference. They are found on the ribbon>Design>Controls tab>ActiveX Controls dialog. At least that is the case for Access 2016.

Momma was literally standing there waiting for me so I had no time to review that page beyond seeing that there was a code example. Don't know if it's useful to you. Perhaps once you figure out where the control itself is and drop it on a test form you might be a step closer. As I mentioned, you set the url property to play a file.

you set the url property to play a file.
    Making some progress. I found the ActiveX control for WMP in the ribbon and included it in a new form. I see the URL property and will try to find out how to feed local files through that property.

Name:	WMP.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	45637

To run the sample code shown at fmsinc, one needs to either buy or otherwise obtain an evaluation copy of their module. If I can satisfy my needs with the WMP control, there's no justification in buying a module just so I can build my own control. The ONLY reason one might reconsider would be if the player quality itself was lacking. I listen with BOSE 700 Headphones so poor quality might become an issue but ONLY if it exists.

If you are going to use Media Player, do you want me to upload the app used in the screenshot in post #3?
    IIRC, its mainly based on something originally by another forum member with a few minor changes by me.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    To run the sample code shown at fmsinc, one needs to either buy or otherwise obtain an evaluation copy of their module.
    Well that was just the first result in the Google hits and was only to point out that info is available and that you might find what you're looking for doing your own research. If they can figure stuff out, I'll bet there's others who have done so and posted about it. Doing my own research, I've found that there seems to be code for opening wmp as Me.WindowsMediaPlayer7.openPlayer (WindowsMediaPlayer7 is the name of the control on my form) independently so perhaps one has to consider that a lot of code might apply to that and not the control itself. If that's the only way to expose the required properties, perhaps it is possible to control the placement and z order of the actual player. Otherwise I'd be looking for properties of the control if needed. I haven't figured out if the Object browser info is for the player or the control. One thing I don't yet understand about that line of code is, if WindowsMediaPlayer7 is the name of the form control, how did I end up opening a player on my desktop instead of on the form?
    Last edited by Micron; 07-03-2021 at 11:12 AM. Reason: clarification

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.