ussmex is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

User-Friendly Presentation of Varying Number of Phone Numbers

Greetings

My existing tblContact table has a separate field for every type of phone number (Office, Mobile, Home, etc).

For an upgrade I'm contemplating breaking out phone numbers to a separate table, with columns for [PhoneNumber] and [PhoneNumberType].

The screenshot below shows an existing form "frmCompany", with "subfrmContact" as the child that includes a person's name and phone numbers (there can be many Contacts per Company). I've styled the subform so that it blends in with the form.

If I were to maintain this look what would be the technique to present the phone numbers and their types for viewing, editing, and adding new records?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Contact Form.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	45511

For example, for Main Phone and Mobile Phone would I create single-textbox subforms? Or is it better to set their Control Sources as queries to display the data, then use code to update or insert new records?

Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Contact Form.jpg  

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    not sure why you want to do that unless a contact can have many mobile numbers and/or many landline numbers, in which case you need a continuous subform. I can understand for a company they may have multiple land lines for different business functions (sales/accounts/helpdesk/etc) which you would want to store in a separate table - but an individual? I do know several people who have multiple mobile numbers - but only one is business, the others are for private use.

But to answer your question, put a subform on the contact subform - you can go down (i think) 7 levels in total

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.