Meditating1 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Loading Specific Form Upon Completion of Field

First, I assume I am in the right section for this question. I am brand new to Access and have basic knowledge about how to design the files, forms, queries, and reports. I am not current on terminology and do not know how to program. I did work for a software company for many years doing needs analysis and design work, but no doubt that industry was very different 40 years ago. At least I am not scared to try anything, but I will sound clueless because that is exactly what I am.

My approach is to start with the collection of a single type of data and try to get it as close to what I think I will need throughout the rest of my design. I work with numerous types of contacts. I would like to have the first field in a contact form to be a lookup field. After the field is completed, then I would like my form to change to the appropriate form for that industry so I can only see and enter the specific data I need. Thereafter, when I go beyond designing the contacts, when I add that contact to a "Case," I want the contact form based on the contact type, the specific contact form, to be the default.

Can I do this in Access and, if so, how is that done or can you point me to some place where there is information suitable for a person who knows absolutely nothing about this product or programming? Any input on KISS resources would be great. I don't have any software buddies so it looks like you guys are it. I have difficulties with reference materials because they all assume I have knowledge that I do not. I need the dummies version. Thanking you in advance, Rachael

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    just make a form that shows ALL records (continuous form), then user can pick from unbound combo boxes to filter:

build the 'where' clause by cycling thru all the controls....
    it executes after a find button CLICK event
    if null, ignore.
    if not, apply.

Code:
    '----------------
    sub btnFilter_click()
    '----------------
    dim sWhere as string 

sWhere = "1=1"
    if not IsNUll(cboST) then sWhere = sWhere & " and [State]='" & cboST & "'"
    if not IsNUll(cboCity) then sWhere = sWhere & " and [city]='" & cboCity & "'"
    if not IsNUll(cboZip) then sWhere = sWhere & " and [ZipCode]='" & cboZip & "'"

If sWhere = "1=1" Then
      Me.FilterOn = False
    Else
      Me.Filter = sWhere
      Me.FilterOn = True
    End If
    end sub

then user can click a DETAIL button to open a single rec form.
    docmd.openform "frmDetail",,,"[id]=" & txtID

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Welcome to the forum.

Not a lot to go on.... yet.

Try writing a description in plain English (as you would tell an 8 yr old) of the "business involved". No jargon and no database quasi-terms. Bottom line -- get a clear statement of WHAT you are trying to automate. Once that is clear, then consider the options that may exist for HOW to do that automation using Access. Don't be too quick to jump into physical Access (or any other DBMS).

"Old Programmer's Rule" is this: If you can't do it on paper, then you can't do it in Access. Until you can draw out your tables AND rules for how they change for each function you want to perform, you are going nowhere fast.

Start by drawing out your tables/relationships using pencil/paper, whiteboard, cardboard/crayon, your picture window. etc until you get a somewhat usable design. Manually plug in values to test the design/relationships.
    Rinse and repeat. Only then open Access. Post your design(s) if you want feedback....

Also, it might help you if you would work through a couple of the tutorials

And post back if/when you get stuck or have questions.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.