skydivetom is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit

Challenging query with execptions/conditions

Experts:

I need some assistance with either a) tweaking the existing queries or b) re-creating a query or n queries in order to get to the desired output.

Allow me to recap on the table [00_tbl_SourceFields] first. Also, to simplify the process

Background on table (and sample records):
    =============================

a. This table is only includes a subset of my actual fields. For the purpose of this thread, the included fields should be sufficient though.
    b. Field [SourceMerged] includes 5 organization values (Org_Alpha through Org_Echo).
    c. Field [FieldnameStandardized] has a total of 9 DISTINCT values; however, I have 20 records due to duplicates across the 5 organizations. That's ok!
    d. Field [MigrateField] contains Boolean values (true/false). In this case, 17 out of 20 records = true.
    e. Fields [MultiTiered_Tier1]; [MultiTiered_Tier2]; [MultiTiered_Tier3] indicate tier level.

Note on Tiers 1 - 3:
    - Per e. not all field values (e.g., "BADGE_NUMBER") are tiered on levels 1 through 3.
    - Some fields (e.g., "INJURY_TYPE") have only tiers 1 and 2 checked.
    - Other fields (e.g., "ACCIDENT_TYPE") is/are tiered on all 3 levels.

Current queries:
    ===========

- This sample DB includes 4 queries.
    - "qry_Step1_1" generates initial results and serves as a "helper" query for "qry_Step_2"... which then serves as helper query for step 3 and so forth.
    - "qry_Step_4" is my final view. And this is where I currently have a flaw that requires either "tweaking" (in subsequent helper queries).

My goal:
    ======

1. Generate an output (e.g., in "qry_Step_4") which shows me all of fieldnames that are utilized by each organization.
    2. If a field is NOT tiered (e.g., "BADGE_NUMBER"), then I simply want to list the [FieldnameStandardized] and its associated source (Org_Alpha through Org_Echo).
    3. However, if a field is tiered (e.g., "ACCIDENT_TYPE"), then I want to show [FieldnameStandardized]&"_Tier_n" and (in 2nd column) the organization/source.
    4. At first glance, it appears that "qry_Step_4" does do exactly that... although it may not be very efficient (it takes 4 steps but the results seem promising).

Current flaw:
    =========

5. When opening "qry_Step_4", the first record = "ACCIDENT_TYPE" (for Org_Echo) is wrong (in the query at least). This is due to record #4 where "OrgEcho" has no TRUE values in [MultiTiered_Tier1] through [MultiTiered_Tier3].
    6. So while the source data (table) is correct, I somehow want to overwrite the results (via IIF statements) so "OrgEcho" value of "ACCIDENT_TYPE" should be displayed as "ACCIDENT_TYPE_TIER_1".
    7. Per #6 please keep in mind I do NOT want to increase the number of query results by an additional 2 records (e.g., 33 vs. 31) by also including ""ACCIDENT_TYPE_TIER_2" and/or ""ACCIDENT_TYPE_TIER_3" for "Org_Echo".
    That is, given that Echo is NOT tiered, I want the generic fieldname only be changed to "Tier_1" (assuming same fields are tiered by at least one other organization).

All that said, here's the final key take away. As I see it, the only incorrect record is the 1st value ("ACCIDENT_TYPE" | "Org_Echo"). It should automatically be converted to ("ACCIDENT_TYPE_Tier_1" | "Org_Echo").
    All else (i.e, record count) appears to be correct.
    Finally, if there's a way to compress the number of helper queries/steps from 4 to something smaller, that would be even greater.

I apologize if the information above is somewhat confusing. This legacy conversion process is very delicate and I tried to explain it with generic field and values IOT get the point across.

Cheers,
    Tom
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Hi Tom,
    Please have a look at the attached file and let me know if it works as expected. Note that I created a new table to hold the excluded fields as it would be easier to maintain the list in the future instead of editing the criteria in the query designer.
    Cheers,
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

skydivetom is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit
    Vlad -- thank you for providing this solution. I was away from my desk so I didn't get to see it until a moment ago.

As always, your solution is sooo elegant and the results are perfect! Thank you so much.

Cheers,
    Tom

P.S. This will help me w/ the remapping of the "scenario 1" products table. You know what I'm referring to. Awesome!!

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Tom, glad to hear it works for you. While obviously not knowing the whole story here I would strongly suggest you review my suggestions on post # 20 of your other thread (https://www.accessforums.net/showthr...t=83691&page=2). You might be missing the opportunity here to normalize your db structure so when Tier4 comes along you are are ready for it...
    Cheers,
    Vlad
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.