Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AndyRob1973 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Date based on previous date

Hello,

I am trying to replicate something that can be done in excel (I've attached an excel spreadsheet with the example and formula in).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	excel_dates.PNG 
Views:	61 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	45364

Basically I have a list of events that each class in a school will attend. There is an expected number of days between each event (Days from previous event). I have a formula in the 'expected date' column that takes the previous 'expected date' and adds 'Days from previous event'.....UNLESS there is an entry in the previous event's 'actual date', in which case it uses that in the calculation.

I would like to replicate this in my MS Access 2010 version of this (also attached). Could anyone help me with achieving this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	access_dates.PNG 
Views:	62 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	45365
    Attached Files Attached Files

Before anyone can advice you something, you have to declare all rules the calculation of predicted date must follow.

1. (Cited: "UNLESS there is an entry in the previous event's 'actual date', in which case it uses that in the calculation"). Are you saying, you have separate fields for predicted date and actual date (sorry, I haven't MS Office available currently, so I can't check it in attachments)? And when next event does happen at date different from predicted one, then next events are calculated based on last real event date?

2. Unless every "
    expected number of days between each event" is a multiple of seven, some predicted dates will be on weekends. What happens with those dates - are events shifted following some rules? And how are next dates after such shift predicted?

3. Same questions like in p. 2 when predicted date happens to be holiday!

4. And probably you have to leave out vacations too.

Taking all this into account, I don't see any way to do this without using some School Calendary table.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Haven't downloaded the files yet but I suspect it will be something along the lines of
    Code:
    ExpectedDate:IIF(IsNull([Actual Date]),DateAdd("d",[DFPE],[Expected Date]),DateAdd("d",[DFPE],[Actual Date]))
    but that's air code and I have no idea what will happen where previous days is null.
    I sure hope the actual db fields are not named like that

EDIT -OK that doesn't look right. Hang on...
    corrected. Obviously I shortened that long field name just for the sake of brevity.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    This seems to work with nulls
    Code:
    ExpectedDate2:IIF(IsNull([ActualDate]),DateAdd("d",Nz([DaysFromPreviousEvent],0),[ExpectedDate]),DateAdd("d",Nz([DaysFromPreviousEvent],0),[ActualDate]))
    I created an additional query field rather than monkey with any existing fields. Complete sql
    Code:
    SELECT Events.EventID, Events.ClassID, Events.EventName, Events.ExpectedDate, Events.ActualDate, Events.DaysFromPreviousEvent, 
    IIf(IsNull([ActualDate]),DateAdd("d",Nz([DaysFromPreviousEvent],0),[ExpectedDate]),
    DateAdd("d",Nz([DaysFromPreviousEvent],0),[ActualDate])) AS ExpectedDate2
    FROM Events;
    formatted to fit code window without scrolling (there's a forced line break in there but still works as is in Access)
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    I think the issue I believe is he has to look back at the previous record to check the Expected Date or or Actual Date. Is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by ArviLaanemets View Post
    Before anyone can advice you something, you have to declare all rules the calculation of predicted date must follow.

1. (Cited: "UNLESS there is an entry in the previous event's 'actual date', in which case it uses that in the calculation"). Are you saying, you have separate fields for predicted date and actual date (sorry, I haven't MS Office available currently, so I can't check it in attachments)? And when next event does happen at date different from predicted one, then next events are calculated based on last real event date?

2. Unless every "
    expected number of days between each event" is a multiple of seven, some predicted dates will be on weekends. What happens with those dates - are events shifted following some rules? And how are next dates after such shift predicted?

3. Same questions like in p. 2 when predicted date happens to be holiday!

4. And probably you have to leave out vacations too.

Taking all this into account, I don't see any way to do this without using some School Calendary table.
    Thanks for your reply. Here are my answers to your questions:

1. For example, to calculate the Expected Date of Event3, if there is a date in actual date of Event2 (in the example it is 3-Jun) then the calculation is 3-Jun plus the ‘Days from previous event’ of Event 3 ie 3 June + 3 = 6 Jun

But, if there was not a date in the actual date of Event2 then the calculation would need to be 30 May + 3 = 2 June.

1. I’m not too concerned about it this as the expected date is only a guide for now.
    2. As above
    3. As above

I can do all this in excel but am looking for a way of replicating it in access. I attached an example database in the original post.

Yes that is correct Bulzie.

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    This seems to work with nulls
    Code:
    ExpectedDate2:IIF(IsNull([ActualDate]),DateAdd("d",Nz([DaysFromPreviousEvent],0),[ExpectedDate]),DateAdd("d",Nz([DaysFromPreviousEvent],0),[ActualDate]))
    I created an additional query field rather than monkey with any existing fields. Complete sql
    Code:
    SELECT Events.EventID, Events.ClassID, Events.EventName, Events.ExpectedDate, Events.ActualDate, Events.DaysFromPreviousEvent, 
    IIf(IsNull([ActualDate]),DateAdd("d",Nz([DaysFromPreviousEvent],0),[ExpectedDate]),
    DateAdd("d",Nz([DaysFromPreviousEvent],0),[ActualDate])) AS ExpectedDate2
    FROM Events;
    formatted to fit code window without scrolling (there's a forced line break in there but still works as is in Access)
    Thank you for your reply Micron,

The challenge I have is that I would like the calculation to use the dates from the previous event. This is something i can achieve in excel but not (so far) in access.

Using my example in the first post:

Event 2 actual date is 3-Jun
    Event 3 is scheduled to happen 3 days later, so the calculation is 3-Jun + 3 = 6 Jun

However if Event 2 has no Actual Date entry (for whatever reason eg it hasn't yet occurred) then I would like to take Event 2 Expected date and add 3 days on to it ie 30 May +3 = 2 Jun.

I can do this quite easily in excel but don't know how to achieve it in access. I've attached an example access database and an excel spreadsheet (hopefully!!) illustrating it.

Hope this makes sense!

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Are the Event IDs static meaning there will be the same 6 (or same numbered events) for each class? I think you can do this in code on AfterUpdate on the record when you save it because if the value they entered is an ActualDate value, then you have to recalculate the remaining ExpectedDates correct? Thinking depending what changed in the record, once saved you get the values from current and previous records to do the calculations, then update the records directly in the table, then Requery the form which should now have the updated values.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    To get a value from a prior or next record you use a subquery. See
    Subqueries

Hi Andy

In the Form that opens at startup I modified the Subforms Record Source as shown:-

SELECT Events.EventID, Events.ClassID, Events.EventName, Events.ExpectedDate, Events.ActualDate, Events.DaysFromPreviousEvent, IIf(IsNull([ActualDate]),DateAdd("d",Nz([DaysFromPreviousEvent],0),[ExpectedDate]),DateAdd("d",Nz([DaysFromPreviousEvent],0),[ActualDate])) AS ExpectedDate2 FROM Events;
    You can PM me if you need further help.
    Good Reading https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/off...on-description

Windows 10 Access 2016
    In the Form that opens at startup I modified the Subforms Record Source as shown:-
    I guess great minds think alike? Almost what I posted in #8, letter for letter.
    Seems it was not what was needed though.

Hi Micron

No my mind is nowhere as clever as yours.

I took your example and modified the Subform
    You can PM me if you need further help.
    Good Reading https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/off...on-description

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Here is one way of doing it with the help of a custom function.

Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mike60smart View Post
    Hi Micron

No my mind is nowhere as clever as yours.

I took your example and modified the Subform
    Ahh, I see. I was hoping the OP could do that, kind of like learning to fish, ya know? Actually I thought yours was different at first because when I pasted both into Notepad to check, the FROM wrapped onto another line and I missed it. It was only after I posted and went to close the notepad text did I see the ending.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.