Linked subform updating on change focus

I open a form with a linked subform. The OnLoad of the subform auto populates a couple of the subform fields. When i click in the subform, before doing anything else, the record is saved. Why? What triggers the save? I don’t want this because I want to option to close without saving.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I suppose because just clicking randomly anywhere inside subform moves focus away from record in edit mode. Record is committed when 1) close table/query/form or 2) record in edit mode loses focus such as when moving to another record or otherwise or 3) run code to save. Don't use VBA to auto populate fields until you want to commit record. Possibly should be using DefaultValue property.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    I suppose because just clicking randomly anywhere inside subform moves focus away from record in edit mode. Record is committed when 1) close table/query/form or 2) record in edit mode loses focus such as when moving to another record or otherwise or 3) run code to save. Don't use VBA to auto populate fields until you want to commit record. Possibly should be using DefaultValue property.
    D’oh! That makes too much sense for this idiot. Also, it’s a continuous (sub)form, so clicking off the current record is just too easy. All I have to do is set focus somewhere within the current record when the form is shown. Thanks for setting me straight!

Ah. Well. Actually that wasn't the fix, and I have no idea what would be. It might be possible to shift the auto-populating to some event that comes after setting focus and before user interaction, but life may be too short to find out which event is invariably appropriate. In the end, I shifted the auto-populating to the Form_BeforeUpdate event, which was good enough.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.