Group On = Each Value
    Group Interval = 1
    Keep Together = With First Detail

In Group Header property page
    Force New Page =None
    New Row or Col = None
    Keep Together = Yes
    Repeat section = Yes

If I set the Repeat Section= Yes, Access freezes when I attempt to preview the report.
    If I set the Repeat section= No, the report previews with no problem,
    but I want the Group Header to appear at the top of every column.

Thanks for any help

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    So if you have the field Category showing in the Group Header, doesn't that show up at the top of each category section? If those properties you listed, which ones did you change(not sure which ones are the default). Maybe give example of what it is doing now and what you want it to do?

MidNite is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulzie View Post
    So if you have the field Category showing in the Group Header, doesn't that show up at the top of each category section? If those properties you listed, which ones did you change(not sure which ones are the default). Maybe give example of what it is doing now and what you want it to do?
    Thank you for responding.

Yes, the field Category is in the group header.
    When I click the Preview button, the Access status bar says "Formatting Page, Press Crtl + Break to stop".
    The hour glass mouse cursor appears. Access is then frozen. It remain it the frozen state indefinitely. The Report does not open.
    Then I end the problem by pressing Crtl + Break to stop.

All the properties of the report are as listed above in my initial post.

The freezing problem does not occur if I change the group Category, "Repeat Section" property in the property sheet to "No".
    The freezing problem does occurs if the group Category, "Repeat Section" property in the property sheet is set to "Yes".

I want to set the group Category, "Repeat Section" property in the property sheet is set to "Yes", so that the Category heading appears at the top of every column but the Access freezes with "Repeat Section" set to "Yes".

Thank You

Bulzie is offline VIP
    So if you changed it to Repeat Section = No, what is it not doing that you need it to do? So you have

Category, Field2

AAA, 1
    AAA, 2
    AAA, 3

and you want it to show as

AAA - header

Windows 10 Access 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulzie View Post
    So if you changed it to Repeat Section = No, what is it not doing that you need it to do? So you have

Category, Field2

AAA, 1
    AAA, 2
    AAA, 3

and you want it to show as

AAA - header

Yes. Exactly. I want the Category header to appear at the top of every column, so that I can clearly see the header (heading).
    I just don't know why Access hangs when I try to preview the report with "Repeat Section" set to yes.

Thank You

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Not sure I have ever used that Repeat Section option. Usually just create the header section, then place the right field (Category in your case) inside that header area and it should show on the report as the header, then in the detail is where you put the Field 2 (or whatever other fields you want). So you have it set up like that and with Repeat Section No, the report does not show the header Category value?

Windows 10 Access 2002
    Thank You for responding

What I want to achieve is to have the Category heading appear at the top of every column.

As I experiment with various properties, I think that the problem is not Access but the problem is that I am asking Access to do something that is impossible. The problem to solve here is that of understanding the interaction, and incompatibility of all the Format properties of the Form, Detail and Group sections. This seems to involve a thorough understanding of each and every property and it's interaction and compatibility with other properties. Unfortunately, Access 2000 does not report via an error message which combination of property settings are incompatible. I am not a master of this. I just want to get the job done... so because I can't spend many hours learning the complex relationships between properties, I am simply using trial and error to get it to work.

I was hoping someone with more experience might know the answer.

Here is an Example of Format Properties compatibility: I just discovered that if I set the Detail, "Keep Together" property to no, then I can set the Group "Repeat Section" property to yes.

Here I go using trial and error to solve a problem that I am don't fully understand.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.