Younan is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Combo Box

Hello,

I need help in making a combo box that would make me choose which field to select to search for a specific record, the combo box will contain 3 item , 2 are date and the third is name.

Thanks in advance

Hi

You would normally have a Combobox which contains a list of items which are all of the same Data Type ie Text or Dates or Numbers
    You can PM me if you need further help.
    Good Reading https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/off...on-description

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mike60smart View Post
    Hi
    You would normally have a Combobox which contains a list of items which are all of the same Data Type ie Text or Dates or Numbers
    I don't agree with that 100%. In one way it is true - the bound field would be the pk of the lookup table so all values saved to table would be of one type. In another way it isn't true IMO because the other list columns can be whatever makes sense as they're not actually being stored. I cannot think of a situation where I would have 2 dates and a name as the displayed value/description for the bound column but that doesn't mean it couldn't ever make sense - especially if all values were actually text data type. However, I suspect that in this case the foregoing doesn't apply. I might even guess that each value is meant to go into a different field, which is another matter.

Regardless, describing how to do something as basic as how to create a combo box doesn't make sense to me when their are gazillions of tutorials and videos for this sort of thing. Plus there are many options that would have to be explained in order to cover it here so best to Google it I think.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

As this is posted in the topic queries, I suppose that you need a query to populate a combo box. To assist with thie we would need a sample of your database structure and form where you want to use the combo box.

I read it as the combo choosing which field to search on, so either a hardcoded list, or a field source and some way to only select those 3?

Perhaps another table to hold field names as data? That way, easy to add more?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.