mlrucci is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Invalid Qualifier VBA

Good afternoon, I am fairly new to vba and am attempting to advance my programming. What I would like to do is declare my variables when referring to subforms within my navigation forms. I cannot seem to figure out how to declare my path to control using Dim. Below is a simple example. When using this, I get compile error invalid qualifier. Insight would be helpful. What I am attempting to do is

[Forms]![frmNavMain]![frmNavMain].[Form]![frmNavInvoices].[Form].lstSub.RowSource = "qrySub_Lost"

Alone works great, after trying to move to declaring the variables, not so great.

Code:
    Private Sub cboInvoiceMonth_Exit(Cancel As Integer)Dim strPath As String
    strPath = "[Forms]![frmNavMain]![frmNavMain].[Form]![frmNavInvoices].[Form]"
        'update list with missing subscriptions
        strPath.lstSub.RowSource = "qrySub_Lost"

End Sub

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    You're trying to assign an object property to a string. Declare the variable as an object, not a string - in this case, a control. Try

Code:
    Private Sub cboInvoiceMonth_Exit(Cancel As Integer)
    Dim ctl As Control

Set ctl = [Forms]![frmNavMain]![frmNavMain].[Form]![frmNavInvoices].[Form].lstSub

ctl.RowSource = "qrySub_Lost"

End Sub
    EDIT - if you need to, set a variable to a form so that your reference is to the parent object. That way you can use the same variable when referencing several controls on the form.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    You're trying to assign an object property to a string. Declare the variable as an object, not a string - in this case, a control. Try

Code:
    Private Sub cboInvoiceMonth_Exit(Cancel As Integer)
    Dim ctl As Control

Set ctl = [Forms]![frmNavMain]![frmNavMain].[Form]![frmNavInvoices].[Form].lstSub

ctl.RowSource = "qrySub_Lost"

End Sub
    EDIT - if you need to, set a variable to a form so that your reference is to the parent object. That way you can use the same variable when referencing several controls on the form.

Thank you very much for your reply. I attempted to define the variable as stated and placed it in the vba (even copied paste) and I am returning "object doesn't support this property or method" Ideas/Thoughts?

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    First have to be sure your chain of references is correct because a listbox does have a rowsource property and you're not trying to use a method. When I need to validate I use the Immediate window and check each object in the chain of references using the name property. When your form is loaded in your navigation form you make an inquiry in the immediate window by starting with a question mark, typing the reference then pressing Enter. If you were to start with the navigation subform control name on the main form then

?[Forms]![frmNavMain]![frmNavMain].Name
    If you get the name you expect then the reference up to that point is correct. If not, you get an error. If OK, go one level deeper and recheck:

?[Forms]![frmNavMain]![frmNavMain].[Form].Name

I expect you will find that there is an issue.

Most of all, post your code, not the example given. It helps to remove doubt about possible syntax errors. Another option is to copy, compact, zip your db and post it here.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Your are 100% correct. I tried it but forgot I put the target control one form deeper. That was my fault. Thank you for all your help. Works like a charm!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.