pdanes is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2007

Fm20.dll

I have an app on a server. The users all have their own copy of the app. On start-up it checks its own version number against the version number of the copy on the server. When the server version is newer, it spawns and executes a script to download the new version. That all works fine, has been in service for years.

But one machine is giving me fits. At random intervals, it loses the reference to FM20.DLL, resulting in the app crashing every time it starts. Re-downloading generally fixes the problem, and this last time, I also decompiled and re-compiled the app on the user's machine. So far, it's running, but this is not a practical long-term solution.

This machine is pesky in general - very slow, and is ripe for a clean re-install. Is there anything that is likely to cause this specific error, or should I wait for the re-install and see if that fixes it?

The server has a reference to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\FM20.DLL, but on the problem machine, the reference changes to ...\system32\...

Could that have anything to do with it?

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    It's possibly windows updates or attempted windows updates only partially installing and leaving the system in a state of limbo.
    A clean install will certainly help.

Out of interest, what does FM20.DLL do - I can't think you would need much in the way of references to create a script file?
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

Windows 10 Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    It's possibly windows updates or attempted windows updates only partially installing and leaving the system in a state of limbo.
    A clean install will certainly help.

Out of interest, what does FM20.DLL do - I can't think you would need much in the way of references to create a script file?
    I don't need it for the script file. That is just what the app does as a first step - commits hara-kiri when it sees that it has been superseded. If it is still the newest version, it just continues the start-up process.

What I need the reference for is a treeview control: https://jkp-ads.com/Articles/treeview.asp

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Ah - Good old Treeview, I used to have an app where one of the forms with the old Active-X Treeview controls on it regularly corrupted.
    It got so bad I kept a version of it in the database as a back up to easily cut and paste it back in.

I thought that the jkp version of the treeview was pure VBA - no unusual libraries required?
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

Windows 10 Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    Ah - Good old Treeview, I used to have an app where one of the forms with the old Active-X Treeview controls on it regularly corrupted.
    It got so bad I kept a version of it in the database as a back up to easily cut and paste it back in.

I thought that the jkp version of the treeview was pure VBA - no unusual libraries required?
    Not quite - it needs a reference to MSForms:

Code:
    Public WithEvents TreeControl As MSForms.Frame
    I use it for a graphic representation of a taxonomic structure.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.