abosick is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Issue with Column: "Amount", Data Type: Currency - Cannot add prefix "***" to the textbox.

Hi!

My table has a column named: "Amount". The data type is "Currency". The column works perfectly in the Textbox it is assigned to. However, I'm looking for any way (Assuming "Format" in "Design View") to add the pre-fix "***" to the value in the Textbox. I went through an entire LinkedIn video series and searched everywhere through google/youtube without an answer. The only thing I could find is changing the currency symbol and adding color using the Format attribute in "General". Any help would be appreciated. Willing to send a coffee your way!

Thank you for your time!

-A

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Tables are for storing data, so I can't see why you might need this.

Queries can be used to return data, so I would create a calculated field in a query with an expression.
    Perhaps something like: Amt:"***" & [Amount]
    OR: Amt:"***£" & [Amount] if you need to show a currency symbol.

The query could then be used as the Record Source of a form or report to view the data.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Welshgasman View Post
    Thanks for the enlightenment Welshgasman

I see that the OP often ends a post with the line:
    Thank you for your time
    I doubt that I'll WASTE any more of it on the OP in the future

IMHO the OP would do well to read the following link: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Bob,
    I first spotted it when I was on my tablet, but could not see how to copy the url on that. By the time I had worked it out, you had posted your initial reply.
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Welshgasman View Post
    Bob,
    I first spotted it when I was on my tablet, but could not see how to copy the url on that. By the time I had worked it out, you had posted your initial reply.
    I sometimes wonder why we bother. I suspect that very few OPs even bother to look at the link given. And I suspect that most of those who do bother to read it treat it with disdain.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

abosick is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Is it frowned upon to ask a question in more than one location online ? Granted, I don't use online forums much for my work (JS/PHP/SQL) but I don't have any problem with anyone doing it. Lots of times it's different people with perspectives to solve a problem. No offense, but I didn't even know people really used Access with SQL Server being around. This question was to help a friend whose company uses Access and has been stuck with it forever. So sorry for wasting everyone's time - sounds like you guys are hating life.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by abosick View Post
    Is it frowned upon to ask a question in more than one location online ?....
    As I said earlier:
    .....I suspect that very few OPs even bother to look at the link given. And I suspect that most of those who do bother to read it treat it with disdain.
    Quote Originally Posted by abosick View Post
    ....... sounds like you guys are hating life.
    On the contrary. I'm loving life but I'm not that fond of people wasting my time!
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    @abosick, if you read what's at the posted link you'll see what the proper etiquette is. People who devote a lot of free time by regularly helping others tend to do so at more than one site. It gets a bit annoying when you give your free time only to find out that someone has already solved the issue somewhere else when you know what it is that they should be doing when that happens. It gets real annoying when it happens every day - it's an accumulative thing I guess. Do everyone a favour, including yourself, by reading the article so that you know what to do the next time.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.