Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016

I have never experienced OnCurrent running more than once in all the testing I've ever done. Perhaps after a loaded form makes the first record current there was something that moved the focus to a new record right after? I could see that making it fire twice.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

keviny04 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    I have never experienced OnCurrent running more than once in all the testing I've ever done. Perhaps after a loaded form makes the first record current there was something that moved the focus to a new record right after? I could see that making it fire twice.
    It would only occur in a subform's OnCurrent event, according to my experience years ago (also see this old discussion). I just tested this on my latest Access projects and yes, this "issue" is still present. My understanding is that the code in the OnCurrent event may trigger the event more than once, in addition to being triggered by the user navigating through the subform's records. If the database resides locally, you may not even notice a difference. But boy, if this happens on remote data (the topic of this thread), the performance hit will be catastrophic if the OnCurrent event does a lot of data retrieval. And this is not exactly an obvious issue either. When I first got this problem, it certainly took me a while to figure it out, back when Internet speed was only 1 Mbps and online info was scarce.

keviny04 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Office 365
    I made a video showing Access applications before and after the move to cloud data with no change to the design or code in the Access front-ends. While using local data, every operation is nearly instantaneous as expected. After switching to cloud data, there are noticeable delays that vary in severity. One app is tolerable even with the delays, while the other isn't (of course, that's subjective depending on the user). Both apps use tables and queries that involve 2K, 10k, to 600k rows of data, so this is a good stress test for how things perform in a cloud environment. Users who consider moving to the cloud are well-advised to do a test like this on your app before going live or making any major purchase decisions. Which brings up this point: Azure is expensive. I use only a $48 a year ($4 a month) hosting site, Winhost.com, which can host Access and SQL Server databases. So one should consider that Azure may be overkill for many users. My test was done in single-user mode. If necessary, do your tests with multiple users as well. The only thing my tests didn't do was inserting data into tables. Internet speed matters in both download and upload because you send as well as receive data in database operations. A query that inserts thousands of rows of data is going to be slow if you only have 5 Mbps upload speed like I do. Hope this info will help someone.
    Last edited by keviny04; 04-25-2021 at 12:44 PM.

Gina Maylone is offline Always learning
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by keviny04 View Post
    I just did a similar thing: moving my SQL Server database to the cloud and having my Access front-end connect to it. Before the move, all data were accessed locally and my Access front-end was super-fast as expected. After the move, all data are now accessed remotely and my Access front-end is slow to a crawl. Access is simply not made for client-server environment, that's really the reason. When you designed your front-end, you likely didn't have client-server in mind (neither did I with mine). I suggest you find a way to test how slow your current front-end would be in your new environment, then plan the right course of action. If your front-end is too slow, you're gonna have to re-design your Access front-end specifically for client-server. Or you give up Access front-ends for something else that is inherently made for client-server, such as a web interface. Access is a product of the 90s that is unfit for today's cloud computing usage. Almost everything that Access does consumes lots of data, which makes it unfit for Internet. Internet speed would have to be hundreds of times faster to be comparable to local speed. Simply opening a table in Access consumes a lot of data: I get a ONE SECOND DELAY every time I scroll down a table full of remote data, whereas it is instantaneous for local data. In my home and business, I use Access only for local data, and use web interfaces for remote data. You can use Access for remote data too if you want, but as I said, you likely have to re-design everything for it. If you need to start from scratch, you may as well do it in an environment that is inherently made for client-server.
    Sorry to hijack here, and I know this is an old thread...BUT what do you recommend as an environment made for client-server? TIA!

If you want to stay in the microsoft environment, you can use .net to develop a front-end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.