Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    diegomarino is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

form recordset mess up the form

Hi,
    i have a calendar table related with a partecipants table, it is a many to many relation this is the scheme

------------------------------
    CALENDAR
    IDCalendar, Title, date .....

PARTECIPANTS
    CalendarID, PArtecipantID, Qualification
    ------------
    so, every row of calendar has usually many (2-4) related partecipants rows, cause every calendar event can be shared by many persons.

since i can't put a subform in a continuos form (yeah, the head/footer solution doesn't fit my needs) i'm make a routine to give values to unbound textbox in my calendar continuos form, this is the code

Code:
       Set rsRecords = Me.Recordset   Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("SELECT Partecipanti.CalendarioID, Partecipanti.PartecipanteID, Partecipanti.Qualifica, Partecipanti.ID, Partecipanti.Mail, Candidati.nomecognome " & vbCrLf & _
                                 "FROM Candidati INNER JOIN Partecipanti ON Candidati.IDcandidato = Partecipanti.PartecipanteId;")

rsRecords.MoveFirst
          Do While Not rsRecords.EOF
          Debug.Print (rsRecords.RecordCount)
             rs.FindFirst ("CalendarioID =" & Me.IDCalendario & " AND Qualifica = 'candidato'")
             Debug.Print (Me.IDCalendario)
             Me.Candidato = rs![NomeCognome]
             Debug.Print (rs![NomeCognome])
          rsRecords.MoveNext
       Loop
    if i set rsRecords = me.recordset and i look the loop in debug print, it loops actually throught every record my form shows, but at the end i see this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	InkedCattura_LI.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	193.7 KB 
ID:	44941

the form is broken

if i set rsRecords = me.recordsetClone the form is ok, but the loop stucks only on the first record.

i cannot figure it out what happens, since i get no errors

ps the recordsource of the form is a query

Code:
    "SELECT Calendario.idcalendario, Calendario.Completato, Calendario.Priorità, Calendario.[Follow Up], Calendario.Manager, Calendario.Tipo1, Calendario.Titolo1, Calendario.[Data inizio], Calendario.Inizio, Calendario.Fine, Calendario.TrattativaID, Calendario.CittàID, Calendario.Commento, Calendario.Indirizzo, Aziende.Azienda, Comuni.Comune, Candidati.NomeCognome, Partecipanti.qualifica " & vbCrLf & _                     "FROM Candidati AS Candidati_2 RIGHT JOIN (Partecipanti AS Partecipanti_2 RIGHT JOIN (Candidati AS Candidati_1 RIGHT JOIN (Partecipanti AS Partecipanti_1 RIGHT JOIN (Candidati RIGHT JOIN (Partecipanti RIGHT JOIN (Comuni RIGHT JOIN ((Aziende RIGHT JOIN Clienti ON Aziende.IDazienda = Clienti.AziendaID) RIGHT JOIN (Trattative RIGHT JOIN Calendario ON Trattative.IDtrattativa = Calendario.TrattativaID) ON Clienti.IDCliente = Trattative.ClienteID) ON Comuni.IDComune = Calendario.CittàID) ON Partecipanti.CalendarioID = Calendario.IDCalendario) ON Candidati.IDcandidato = Partecipanti.PartecipanteID) ON Partecipanti_1.CalendarioID = Calendario.IDCalendario) ON Candidati_1.IDcandidato = Partecipanti_1.PartecipanteID) ON Partecipanti_2.CalendarioID = Calendario.IDCalendario) ON Candidati_2.IDcandidato = Partecipanti_2.PartecipanteID " & vbCrLf & _
                         "WHERE (((Partecipanti.qualifica)=""Head Hunter"")) " & vbCrLf & _
                         "ORDER BY Calendario.[Data inizio], Calendario.Inizio;"

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    since i can't put a subform in a continuos form ...........
    But you could put a subform on a form in Continuous view.

I don't understand what you are trying to do in your code but if you are trying edit the data in rsRecords then you will need the line:
    rsRecords.Edit
    at the start of each loop and you will need the line:
    rsRecords.Update
    before the line:
    rsRecordset.MoveNext
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    i'm make a routine to give values to unbound textbox in my calendar continuos form
    not sure you can do that in a continuous form.

post a copy of your db with a few dummy records.
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

Windows 10 Access 2016
    @bob fitz yes, but the subform cannot be in the detail of continuos form, only in foot or header

here a copy of database

as you can see in the relation image (just to show, i have not that relation actually), every row of "calendario" is related to many rows of "partecipanti", cause every calendar has many attendees.

i want to make some unbound textbox in calendar list ("lista calendario") that i fill with records in "partecipanti". So i loop through the query made with "partecipanti" and "candidati", and when the record matches the "calendarioID=IDcalendario" (the key of calendar table) and the "qualifica" (the function of the attendee) i want, it fills the related texbox.

in this case i just made a "Candidato" textbox (applicant), so the recordset should loop through the "Partecipanti" query (applicants) and sit on the record that has the "Calendarioid" (the foreign key) of the specific calendar row and has the "qualifica" = "Candidato".

this is the scheme of relationship

Name:	Cattura.PNG 
Views:	24 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	44943
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Earlier message was made in error.
    Last edited by Bob Fitz; 04-09-2021 at 10:48 AM. Reason: missunderstood requirement

Windows 10 Access 2016
    there was an error on load a form not existing in start up

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Hi Diego,
    Please look at it now, should work OK (I'll let you fix the #Type error showing on the calculated control in the new record line ). You were use rsRecords.MoveNext but you were getting the IDCalendario from Me (the form not the recordset) which was not advancing therefore the first record always.

Cheers,
    Vlad
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    I would suggest you stop and fix other issues before moving on.

Remove spaces from ALL object names.
    Remove special characters from Field names. (at least 3 fields with "/" in the name)
    Having "ID" as the PK field in all 3 tables is just wrong!

IMHO, having 83 fields in 1 table ("Candidati") suggests that the table should be looked at and split into more tables.

There is an error in the sub "OggiFilt_Click"
    Code:
    Private Sub OggiFilt_Click()
       Me.CompletatoFilt = No         '<<--- You cannot use No. You must use FALSE
       Me!DiegoFilt = True
       Me!DataInizioFilt = Date
       Me!DataFineFilt = Date
       Me!CandidatoFilt = ""
       Me!TitoloFilt = ""
       BuildFiltStr
    End Sub

Also, I believe the table linking is not correct. There is not a PK field linking to a FK field.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    what a jackass...
    however, i tried with debug print and the problem is still there....

Name:	Cattura.PNG 
Views:	17 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	44953

i checked and idcalendario is different for every record, i changed oggi_filt to set the date of monday, in which there are 9 events.

Name:	Cattura2.PNG 
Views:	17 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	44954

Windows 10 Access 2016
    thanks nice suggestion.

ok i'lll switch to false, even if it works with "no" too
    I know my fileds are bad but i made it a year ago that i was very ignorant. I have to change it but i'm scared cause i have one ms access application and one powerapps application...changing names is a bit painful i think
    all "ID" field are system generated, i do not use them, i use my personalized ID, like "IDcalendario", "IDCandidato" etcetc

speaking of splitting Candidati Table, do you think it will boost performances? right now even forms based on candidati are very fast.... maybe you suggest to make for example a "retribution" table in which io put every retribution and contractual information in "Candidati" table?

Quote Originally Posted by ssanfu View Post
    I would suggest you stop and fix other issues before moving on.

Remove spaces from ALL object names.
    Remove special characters from Field names. (at least 3 fields with "/" in the name)
    Having "ID" as the PK field in all 3 tables is just wrong!

IMHO, having 83 fields in 1 table ("Candidati") suggests that the table should be looked at and split into more tables.

There is an error in the sub "OggiFilt_Click"
    Code:
    Private Sub OggiFilt_Click()
       Me.CompletatoFilt = No         '<<--- You cannot use No. You must use FALSE
       Me!DiegoFilt = True
       Me!DataInizioFilt = Date
       Me!DataFineFilt = Date
       Me!CandidatoFilt = ""
       Me!TitoloFilt = ""
       BuildFiltStr
    End Sub

Also, I believe the table linking is not correct. There is not a PK field linking to a FK field.

Gicu is offline VIP
    Diego,
    You have the same problem on the Debug.Print (Me.IDCalendario) should be rsRecords!IDCalendario (and all records in Candidati have Martin for NomeCognome). But reading your initial post again I don't think you can do what you want as the unbound controls on a continuous form will display the same value for all records. In the loop you are retrieving the correct values but you are always assigning them to Me.Candidato for the first record.
    One way to do it would be to use dLookups for the various unbound controls or concatenate them using a concatenation functions. Please have a look at the updated file where I use theDBguy's SimpleCSV function to do it. If you apply the daily filter on the open event of the form it should be very fast.

Cheers,
    Vlad
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer

Windows 10 Access 2016
    thanks, i feared it was not possible. However i tried the dlookup but it was i bit slow, this solution looks faster.
    maybe i'll think something to make it faster, but it's ok

Actually, i was thinking a stupid idea. Making a table from the query i use for calendar recordsource, adding Applicants, clients and headhunters in other fields.
    This should work and should be the fastest way

Gicu is offline VIP
    It probably will be a bit faster but the constant emptying and populating of the local table will bloat the front-end so it will need to be compacted frequently plus the data might not always reflect the "live" data if other user(s) are modifying existing records. For filtered recordsets with few records the SimpleCSV should be fast enough I think.

Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    The first picture in Post#9 you set db = currentdb but there is no indication you dimmed it. Do you have option explicit declared in every module?
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

Windows 10 Access 2016
    yes, do not look too much at that code, it was messed up many times
    Quote Originally Posted by moke123 View Post
    The first picture in Post#9 you set db = currentdb but there is no indication you dimmed it. Do you have option explicit declared in every module?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.