bilalo is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Access 2016 Attachment field weird behavior

I have a table "Items" with the following attributes: ItemID, price, and a picture (attachment)
    I added some records, the attachment field works perfectly, then I deleted all records and then I compacted and repaired the database
    The problem is now if I try to add a new item, the attachment is automatically filled with one of the previous attachments.

That is really weird behavior for attachments. Did anyone face the same issue with MS Access 2016?

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I guess this is another reason why the general consensus is you shouldn't store attachments in Access tables. Better to store the path to the file and make use of that instead. IIRC, there is a system table where you might find that these objects are being kept. Perhaps it is re-populating your field with those objects. Not sure that the usual responders here will know because I don't think any of them/us use such fields as a rule.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Access 2016
    It seems that this behavior only occurs when I delete the records from a form using DoCmd.RunSQL, because when I opened the table and deleted the records manually and then inserted new records, the new records do not have an attachment.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Yes I think MS Access is storing a copy of my attachments in a system table.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    I guess this is another reason why the general consensus is you shouldn't store attachments in Access tables. Better to store the path to the file and make use of that instead. IIRC, there is a system table where you might find that these objects are being kept. Perhaps it is re-populating your field with those objects. Not sure that the usual responders here will know because I don't think any of them/us use such fields as a rule.
    Yes I think MS Access is storing a copy of my attachments in a system table.
    It seems that this behavior only occurs when I delete the records from a form using DoCmd.RunSQL, because when I opened the table and deleted the records manually and then inserted new records, the new records do not have an attachment.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    No, a different scenario.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.