dvd1985 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit

Importing Access 2000 MDB File to Access 2010 Error

Hello I am trying to help a small business migrate to Access 2010 on a newer computer. Their old computer is running Windows XP and they open their database for their inventory and customer list via an .MDB file. I tried importing this into Access 2010 on one of their newer systems running W7 and it gives me this error: "ODBC--Connection to 'SQL Serverserver' failed."
    I've spent hours tinkering with it between there on-site and on my end using Access 2010 on my W10 machine after trying ODBC Data Source Adminstrator tutorials to no avail. I don't have any experience with Access so that doesn't help! Any insight is appreciated and if it's a more involved process I'm glad to hire someone to get this fixed for them as their entire business is resting on this .MDB file.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Welcome to the forum.

If you really have no experience with Access, then you may well need to hire someone as its difficult to provide detailed advice based on the info given and without being able to view the files.
    I'm guessing that TN is Tennessee in which case a US based developer is probably a good idea

However, a couple of starting points

First of all, check the SQL Server driver being used for ODBC connections - look at the connection string.
    You may need to update that to a newer version of the driver.

Also, the type of connection matters, File DSN or Machine DSN? Or DSN-less connections? I realise that will probably not mean much to you...

Secondly, if you are updating to Access 2010 then I recommend converting it to an ACCDB file before proceeding further.
    You may also have issues with reference libraries but those should be fairly straightforward to fix if needed
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Have you tried different older ODBC drivers for SQL server. Like the generic 'sql server'.
    Or try the most recent 'Sql server vesion 11'.

is the connection path to the sql server correct? Open the .mdb, select the table, then hoover the cursor over the table name and it will display the 'path'.

is the DSN installed on the pc?
    Add the dsn, then refresh table links.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.