Pawtang is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Office 365

Filtering with combo box on a lookup field

I've managed to filter my continuous table with one field, so I know the basic method is correct, but this second field I want to filter by insists on including the auto-number PK in the row source of the combo box when I build out its row source query. If I remove the ID from the row source query, the combo box displays a blank list. If I include it, it shows the correct list, but it does not correctly match the value to the field I want to filter by: it returns no results, which to me indicates that it is not trying to match the correct field in the row source query.

When I look at the result of the row source query without the PK, it does produce the correct list that I want the combo box to display, so I am confused why the combo is not displaying it. Does the PK need to be included? Do I set the bound column to 2 if the PK is 1?

I hope this makes sense, I can include pictures and code if necessary.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Solved:
    When creating the combo box with the Access dialogue, it creates a two-column box. Needed to change back to 1 column, and remove the width dimension for the first column as well.

Generally I always have an ID field and the display field in my combos. Perhaps more than one display field, but ID field is always hidden?

Also I do not have lookup fields in my tables, EXCEPT for the first DB I created when I did not know any better.
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Windows 10 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by Welshgasman View Post
    Generally I always have an ID field and the display field in my combos. Perhaps more than one display field, but ID field is always hidden?

Also I do not have lookup fields in my tables, EXCEPT for the first DB I created when I did not know any better.

To clarify: my table does not include lookup fields, I have dedicated lookup tables with a numerical PK and a value field. Then those tables are related on the primary key.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.