tkosel is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Olebound Object Question

I tried to post this once but goofed it up. I don't know how to fix it, so I am reposting.

I have an Access 2016 DB with a report that contains several Olebound Objects. A control source example is: #=DLookUp("[newicon]","Icons","[iconcode]= " & 85)#
    This has been working fine for years, through various versions of Access and Windows. A report snip appears below. (Sorry about resolution.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	44653

Now all of the sudden it stopped working on my machine. It still works fine on the client machine. Now, I get below

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	44654

I recently upgraded to Windows 10, version 20H2, but so did the customer. Can anyone think why this is occurring?

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    have you tried binding it directly to the field? (no dlookup)

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post
    have you tried binding it directly to the field? (no dlookup)
    Thanks for your suggestion, I did that right away and no it still does not work. Key question is, it has been working for years, How come it suddenly doesn't work anymore? Additionally, while I am pleased, how come it still works on the clients machine? They are using an older version of Access than I am.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I have an Access 2016 DB with a report that contains several Olebound Objects.
    You are saying that the objects are stored in a table field? Reports don't contain the objects, they can only display them. You could post a db (zipped) with enough to reproduce the issue so that others with 2016 or higher can test. I for one question the # characters in your expression if they're really there.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks for your response.
    I know that"Reports don't contain the objects, they can only display them". I don't always use the correct terminology in the right context. Sorry about that.

I thought I understood that you were supposed to place a # sign on either side of code. The # signs are not in my source code.

After further investigation, I have discovered that the Problem is caused when looking at the report in Print Preview. In report view, it works just fine. My method when designing a report has always been to work on it in design view, then use Print Preview to view. This has always worked for me in the past. Now all the sudden it doesn't work like that anymore.

I have attached example.

Test.zip

I always like to provide a print preview option for users to verify output before they print to the printer.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    The # you're referring to is on the forum post toolbar (button).
    This one's a puzzle. Works for me with either view (both report controls show an image), same OS, same Access version as you except I remain stuck on build 13328.2092 as I've turned off updates. Seems like every time an update comes out there's something negative about it. Regardless, perhaps in your update you ended up losing your Trusted Locations spot. Couldn't tell you if that would propagate down to control expressions too, or just code. That's all I can suggest to look at because obviously you can't roll back updates if you haven't had any. Could ask other person to check their version/build info I suppose.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Micron,

Thanks for your response and testing. I will continue to pursue. Think I should uninstall the "Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2"?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Anything I've tried doing to not update Windows only causes me grief (constant nagging, and likely the reason for abysmal performance which magically goes away when I relent). However, your issue is likely with Access, not Windows, and just might be a Trusted Locations issue. Easiest solution might be to not use an expression for a bound field (post 2).

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    Anything I've tried doing to not update Windows only causes me grief (constant nagging, and likely the reason for abysmal performance which magically goes away when I relent). However, your issue is likely with Access, not Windows, and just might be a Trusted Locations issue. Easiest solution might be to not use an expression for a bound field (post 2).
    I don't think that will work, as in my example I provided I used a control source that was a field from the query as well as an expression. Neither one works. Expand more on your trusted connections suggestion please.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I used a control source that was a field from the query as well as an expression.
    I downloaded your file, so I saw that.

As I noted, I can't say if this
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...3-4e7c67147fb4

applies to the use of expressions in controls or not. Also noted that both controls worked for me in either view. The only thing I can say wrt TL's is that I know your db was in a TL on my pc.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    It is running in/from a trusted location. Thanks.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Sorry, then. Other than maybe finding someone who has a lower build of Access my last suggestion is with your new install, open the word doc by double clicking on the table field record. At first, I couldn't see your report open because the nav pane took up my entire screen and I didn't recognize it as such. When I changed the view options, saw the table listed, opened it and double clicked on the record and opened the Word document. At that point I realized I had been looking at the nav pane with a single report icon so I resized it and opened the report. There it was with the ole field showing what it should. Did opening the Word file make some sort of connection for me? Can't say because on first opening of report I couldn't see it, but it's worth a try.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.