Two similar edit queries - one works, the other does not

I have an environmental database to manage aquatic invertebrate and river habitat data for long-term river studies. I am using parameter queries bound to forms for the purpose of editing the data. One query, called "qsel_edit_RiffleData" is used to edit riffle habitat data. The query, called "qsel_edit_DischargeDetail", is used to edit river discharge characteristics. They are so similar in design, yet the riffle query will allow edits while the discharge query does not. I have removed the parameters and inserted simple text criteria and the behavior of the queries does not change.

I have pulled the two queries and the tables they reference along with some sample data into a container database called "MyTestContainer.accdb" which is attached. Is it possible to post screendump images of the query grid design views? That might help.

Thanks in advance.

c.r.
    Attached Files Attached Files

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    some queries wont work depending on the joins.
    1 of your queries has 1 to many, the other is 1 to 1.

you dont have to have the joined table to edit. If you need a field from the join (no longer there) use a dlookup on the form.
    removing the other table will allow edits.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    In looking at your db, I see several things that I would call issues.

In tables "tbl_RiffleData" and "tbl_DischargeDetail", it looks like they are linked in a 1-to-1 relationship. And they have a compound Primary Key. Then two field involved with the compound PK are text type fields.

Looking at the SQL of the query "qsel_edit_DischargeDetail", there are two columns are for "Notes". While this does not hurt anything, I would delete one column.
    Code:
    SELECT tbl_DischargeDetail.Season, tbl_DischargeDetail.LocationID, tbl_DischargeDetail.EventID, tbl_DischargeDetail.DischargeNo, tbl_DischargeDetail.DistanceFromBank_m,
     tbl_DischargeDetail.Depth_cm, tbl_DischargeDetail.Notes, tbl_DischargeDetail.Notes AS Expr1, tbl_DischargeDetail.Units, tbl_DischargeDetail.DETimeStamp, tbl_Locations.ParkCode
    FROM tbl_Locations INNER JOIN tbl_DischargeDetail ON (tbl_Locations.LocationID = tbl_DischargeDetail.LocationID) AND (tbl_Locations.LocationID = tbl_DischargeDetail.LocationID)
    WHERE (((tbl_DischargeDetail.Season)=2007) AND ((tbl_Locations.ParkCode)="BUFF"))
    ORDER BY tbl_DischargeDetail.Season, tbl_DischargeDetail.LocationID, tbl_DischargeDetail.EventID, tbl_DischargeDetail.DischargeNo;
    Look at the FROM clause... don't know how you did this, but it doesn't look correct.
    If you delete the RED part , the query becomes editable (at least for me).

Microsoft Access Tables: Primary Key Tips and Techniques

In the original database, both queries had been 1 to many but I broke that loading it in the container database. DLookup() on the form control looks like a great alternative. So I will just yank the lookup table out of the query altogether.

Thank you ranman and ssnafu for your responses!!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.