Euler is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Display PDF on Access report

Hello,

I'm trying to display a PDF on an Access report. I've researched the issue but I can't get it to work. Most people say to use the Web Browser ActiveX control. Which I've done but nothing appears. I've also tried using the Adobe Acrobat DC Browser ActiveX control but with no joy either.

I have the location of the PDF in an Access table as an attachment. Here's my code to fetch and display it using the Web Browser ActiveX control:

Private Sub Report_Load()
    Dim db As DAO.Database
    Dim rst As DAO.Recordset
    Dim rstChild As DAO.Recordset

Dim FilePath As String
    Set db = CurrentDb()
    Set rst = db.OpenRecordset("SELECT tblXML.PK, tblXML.XMLPath, tblXML.FileName, tblXML.LoadDate, tblXML.AttachedFile FROM tblXML WHERE (((tblXML.PK)=1));")
    Set rstChild = rst.Fields("AttachedFile").Value
    FilePath = "C:\Temp" & "\Preview.pdf"
    If (Dir(FilePath) <> "") Then Kill FilePath
    rstChild.Fields("FileData").SaveToFile FilePath
    Me!PreviewBrowser.Navigate (FilePath)
    rst.Close
    End Sub

This code extracts the PDF and saves it to a temporary location where it should be picked up with the "Navigate" function. The file is created but nothing appears in the control.

Can someone please help me with this?

Thank you very much.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I think what you need is the bound object frame; control source set to the attachment field. I've never used it because I would not put attachments in a table. The web browser control was designed to load web pages. I can only guess that to load files with the wb control, your url must start with file:/// and not just the drive letter, which is what I surmise you're doing.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    I wouldnt. You loose detail resolution.
    Just open the pdf natively in its own app.

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    I think what you need is the bound object frame; control source set to the attachment field. I've never used it because I would not put attachments in a table. The web browser control was designed to load web pages. I can only guess that to load files with the wb control, your url must start with file:/// and not just the drive letter, which is what I surmise you're doing.
    Thank you very much for replying.

I tried using the bound object frame but that doesn't work; maybe because attachments in tables seem to be like multi-valued fields. I don't need to have the PDF in a table. If I can get the bound object frame to work without the attachment field, that would be OK.

I also tried using an unbound object frame and it worked but it seems that I have to designate the location of the PDF when I create the frame. I also don't know how I can programmatically change the file location for each different report. I will keep investigating, however, since at least I got a result using the unbound object frame.

Thanks again for your help.

Thank you for replying.

I really don't have a choice. It's what the customer insists on.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    You can set the source in code any time after making the initial choice. It's the same for an image control when you're linking (not embedding) the picture. Navigate to the file, choose it, then alter the property via code as needed.
    I have read that attachment fields are a form of mvf. No idea why that would be seeing as how only one item can be stored in that field per record?
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

You're right. I was embedding, not linking. When I link I can change the "Source Doc" property at runtime using code.

I also found that I could save the PDF as an OLE object in the table and bind the frame object to it. I don't know if that's a good idea because it might bloat the database.

Here you can see that the attachment has three fields associated with it: "FileData", "FileName" and "FileType". The actual image is in "FileData" but that field is its own database with three fields in it. Using the attachment as the control source doesn't get me to the "FileData" field. At least, it hasn't worked for me.

Sorry. The screen print didn't show up.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	44515

Windows 10 Access 2016
    That is a mv field. Out of curiosity, you're saying that AttachedFile.FileData as the control source doesn't load the object? I wouldn't know because IMO any kind of mv field is to be avoided, and if that field is for attachments, then yes, it tends to rapidly bloat the db.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.