lefty2cox is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

Form Property Data Entry

I have myForm with mySubform. I have a button on myForm that opens myForm2. I can also open myForm2 from the double click event on a field from mySubform. myForm2 is set to allow additions, edits, deletions and filters.

The button on myForm opens myForm2 using docmd with acFormAdd and opens to a new record. The double click event on mySubForm opens myForm2 in acWindowNormal, not specified but I read it's the default. There is a where condition in this case, opening the form to a specific record using a PK from myForm and FK from myForm2.

The button is for adding new records and the double click is for editing existing records, which I'm sure you've all gathered at this point.

This works brilliantly through testing and for a good amount of time. Then, suddenly, the property for myForm2 switches to "dataEntry" mode causing my double click event to open to a new record instead of specific record. No error appears, it just opens to a new record. I switch it back and it works great for a while and then switches again. This has happened about 3 or 4 times now and I can't figure it out.

I should add that I had originally created myForm2 with the dataEntry property set to yes but switched it to no soon after. I don't know if that is playing a role. Also, if it matters, myForm2 is a popup modal. Not sure if that matters as well

Thank you.

I just replicated it. It happens when I bounce around to design view, depending on what window mode is open at the time I enter design mode. I haven't figured out exactly what sequence causes it yet. But maybe this info is helpful and someone knows what's happening.

Thanks

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I have also experienced properties switching when going from form view to design view and back, albeit it seems to always be about the form view property. One way to possibly overcome your issue is to pass a mode value (e.g. edit) to OpenArgs and set the applicable form properties in the opening form instead. You could also create custom form properties and set property values on open but that's somewhat harder to do.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

As long as it's not me. I guess I can deal with it now that I'm aware of it. Eventually, when the form is done, I won't have to deal with it anymore.

apr pillai is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2007
    myForm2 is a Popup Modal Form. Are you sure you are closing myForm2 you have opened from myForm before attempting to open by double-clicking from mySubForm. Or opens them in reverse order before closing the earlier instance at some point of the trial runs.

Separate instances of the same Popup Form may overlap their instances and may not be visible to the unsuspecting eye. Its only a guess I didn't tried it yet.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.