danhas is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Access VBA unvieable locked

The guy who created the database is gone and I cannot get ahold of them. The database is a single unit, they didn't separate it to back and front in. When you open the database it ask for a password which i have. However once i open it using the passwords and holding shift. the forms all pull up on the side but it wont let me put them in design view. I can only put the tables in design view. Also when i go into the VBA by hitting ALt+f11, and click on a form to see the code it says it locked. I really need to get access to the vba codes. so i can fix an issue. see below for pics of what i mean.
    I have the password to a form that pops up when ever you open the database asking you to log int
    I can access design view for tables but nothing else

it doesn't give me the option to do anything if i right click the form name.
    I have tried Evilclippy and changing DPb to dpx

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Try using shft key bypass when opening db.
    Hold down shift key when opening.

Ooops, I missed reference to shift key in OP.
    Last edited by June7; 09-02-2023 at 11:45 PM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    From your explanation, it seems that you are already using the shift bypass.

It sounds like this is an ACCDE or MDE file in which case you cannot view the design or code in forms, reports or modules.
    You would need the original ACCDB/MDB file for that. Removing the VBA password won't help you in this case.

There is a reputable company called EveythingAccess.com run by Wayne Phillips that can reverse engineer ACCDE files to fully functional ACCDB files.
    However, you need to be aware that its a paid service and you would need to provide proof of ownership before they will carry out the work
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

fronflower is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2019
    Here are a few suggestions for gaining access to the VBA code and design view in a locked Access database:

- Try holding down the Shift key when opening the database. This disables startup options and macros, so may allow you to bypass any code locking things down.

- Open the database in Access "exclusive" mode by adding ";pwd=12345" (or the actual password) to the end of the database path. This ignores user-level security.

- Use a VBA code unlocking tool like MDB Key, Unlocker, etc. Some of these can crack the VBA project password and allow full access.

- Export all objects to a new blank database. This creates copies without any security. You can then work with the VBA and design views in the new db.

- Decompile the database using MS Access command "Compact & Repair". This resets some locking flags.

- Edit table permissions in MS Access under Tools > Security > User and Group Permissions. Check if your user account has full control.

- Check for AutoExec macros, UserLevelSave ValidationRule properties, and VBA UserProtection settings that could be restricting access. Removing these may unlock things.

Let me know if any of those suggestions help get you into the VBA code and design view! The key is finding and removing whatever security the original developer put in place.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    @fronflower
    Your response reads as though it has been obtained from Chat GPT or another similar resource.
    Having just looked at your previous replies in earlier threads, they appear to follow a similar pattern.

Whist several of the suggestions have some basis in truth, there is a lot of incorrect or irrelevant info in your list.
    Taking each statement in turn:
    1. The OP has already stated the shift bypass has been used
    2. Exclusive mode is not the same as entering a password. You have to use exclusive mode to set a password but otherwise each is independent
    3. Password unlockers do not work on ACCDB file encryption. VBA passwords are a separate issue
    4. Not possible for all objects in an ACCDE file
    5. Compacting is not the same as decompiling.
    6. Not relevant to ACCDB files. Applies to user level security in MDB files
    7. Also largely irrelevant to ACCDB files

Apart from that, not much wrong with your list
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.