binglis is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Backend tables not working properly. Since updating the tables from mdb to accdb

Hi
    I have just encounter a problem that started when I changed the backend tables from mdb to accdb. I was receiving error messages when I tried to compact and repair which I have been doing once a week for a long time. So decided to convert to accdb. The error messages stopped but now other

peculiar faults are happening. Also updated the server to the latest edition and looking at that end as well

The tables are stored on a ubuntu server and I am using samba so that the 4 clients windows 10 computers can talk to the tables. This has been working fine for a number of years. Now records are dissappearing. This seems to happen when I compact and repair.
    I have a feeling it has to do with security on file permissions but not sure. Has anyone had this problem and found a work round. This is a major fault and I need to fix it urgently.
    Any ideas or fixes would be appreciated

cheers
    Bill

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    There is a chance that you may have some corruption in your database.
    You may want to try importing all your tables to a new, blank database, and start using that new copy instead.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Just back and I exported all the tables into a new blank database. One of the tables was corrupt. I eventually sorted this. Had to write down the record that was corrupting it compact the database before I could export the table without record. I easily installed the corrupt record into new database. All seems to be well. The only problem now that wasnt there before is when I update a record and another person looks at the record the new data is in but if he deletes the new piece of data it still shows on the orginal database after he has moved to another record and went back to the updated one. The new data is still there but if you look at the underlaying table the record has changed correctly. Each time anyone looks at a new record its reads from the table and just puts the data into unbound fields. No link at all until the field is updated then the tabled is update after update. This has worked for a number of years now its suddenly not. Any help would be appreciated. Another thing the new blank database is a mdb format just like before.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Are you working with a split databaase?
    If so, after you created the new back-end database (created the new database for the tables), did you remember to go and update the front-end so that they are linked to this new database and not the old one?

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I thought that at first, but when reviewing the post, figured that if a user sees the new record created by someone else, he/she must be connected to the right tables. If 2nd user modifies the record and this can be seen in the same underlying table, this also suggests to me that the connections are valid. To me, it's like the form isn't being refreshed, but since I have no idea about ubuntu and samba I have no clue what effect that has on the situation. Perhaps my understanding of what happens with the records is not correct.
    Last edited by Micron; 03-02-2021 at 11:46 AM. Reason: clarification
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Yes I did. I changed the link tables to the new back-end tables database and then copied the new database to the network and copied it to each computer. Each one is now linked to the new tables

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Where the tables are stored on the server. Samba software makes out that its just a mapped drive like any ohter mapped drive. As far as windows is concerned its reading from a windows mapped drive. Just feel that windows has upgraded something in the access controls thats changing the way the windows desktops are reading from the tables. This has worked perfectly for a number of years. Was just hoping someone has come accross this and knows the fix.

JoeM is offline VIP
    I know nothing of ubuntu or samba myself. So I don't think I can offer any assistance on that part of it.

Gicu is offline VIP
    Not a samba\linux expert either, but the explanation with "disappearing" records reminded me of a similar experience one of my clients had with a shared Access back-end which was placed in a share that was set up for "offline files". Basically what was happening was the back-end was being cached on each user's local machine and the data synced back to the server was random depending on who was entering\exiting the application.
    Here are a couple of links that might help you identify if that is your problem:
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/...es/ba-p/423365
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2213591
    https://oregontechsupport.com/samba/ (look for the oplocks section)
    https://lists.samba.org/archive/samb...ly/013509.html (this link and the previous one are both mentioned in the one from the ubuntu forum)

Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

Windows 10 Access 2016
    thanks to everyone for you help and advice. I have a lot of reading to do. When I get it fixed will post what I had to do

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi to everyone again.
    I have been testing the database and it was getting corrupted most days. I have reconverted the backend tables from accdb to mdb as they were before. Now the problem is that there are four desktops mapped to the same z drive. where the tables are stored. I opened up the 4 machines and logged into database. They all loaded fine and read from the backend tables fine. I then went to the end record and made a change to one field. Checked the other 3 desktops and the change was there. I then moved to a different record on all four machines and then went to the end record and removed the data i put in previously. Went to the other 3 machines and 2 of them had the change but the one that inserted the new piece of data still had it in the field. I looked at the table on this machine and the data was still in. On the other 3 machines the data was not there. I logged out of the database with the machine that was still showing the data although it had been removed and back in and the data had gone and it was what i should have been.
    Is there some sort of cache that each computer does or what is causing this to happen as it should not.
    the data had been removed for the backend tables but still showed. I seem to be going round and round. Any help or a direction to sort this would be appreciated

Gicu is offline VIP
    That is exactly what I was suggesting with the "offline" files, have you checked those links to ensure your Samba settings are correct and you are not allowing local caching of the back-end.

Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Gicu View Post
    That is exactly what I was suggesting with the "offline" files, have you checked those links to ensure your Samba settings are correct and you are not allowing local caching of the back-end.

Cheers,
    Samba settings are correct and not allowing caching. I am going down this weekend and running memtest. Need to eliminate the memory or see if thats the problem. Might even have to do a fresh install of the server. This is a major fault and needs to be addressed. Thanks for your advice. Will keep you posted

Windows 10 Access 2016
    hi

its been a while but have sorted the problem. Removed micorsoft office from all client computers. Installed a webserver on my server. Redesigned database to work with different platform and everything working fine. The beauty of this is no more office applications. My client is happy and so am I. Bye Bye microsoft office
    Thanks for all the help.

Bill

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.