Permissions Issue? OLD Version, MDW Issue?

Hi all,

Name's Chris. How much do I know about Access of ANY version? Nothing. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Gotta be honest up front. So here's the scenario, and I'll try to explain as best I can...

We still have an old application called GEO TMS running on an old Windows Server 2003 box. Evidently, it's little more than an Access database. Best I can tell, it's "Office XP" or Access 2003. It's an old permitting system.

Basically, we had a few dozen users and what they would do is simply use RDP from their client PCs to connect to the server. When the RDP session opened, they were automatically taken to the GEO TMS application/database. We had the paths to the MDB, etc files set as a program to open automatically. So they would go in, do whatever, then close which would also end the RDP session.

NO ONE is using this system anymore, and hasn't for a few years, EXCEPT one guy. He used it up until last month. January 2021 is the last time he used it. Now, he's trying, but can't. Further explanation is required... He used to login to the server as "domain\username". Since last time he used it, he and I had a verbal chat about this username and we decided to DELETE it from Active Directory because it "wasn't being used anymore". Well, it was. For this. And he just didn't realize it and I had no idea. Now, I recreated the username and reinstated all the same permissions it had hoping it would all just start working again. No dice.

So on the server itself is a list of folders, corresponding to users, at E:\GeoTMS\Users\

E:\GeoTMS\Users\Dept1
    E:\GeoTMS\Users\Dept2
    Etc etc etc

The overwhelming amount of folders in here correspond to users that haven't existed on our network for years. But I do see his folder, and inside it, I do see all the necessary files he used to access up until last month. There are 3 MDE files. Whether I am logged in to the server as him, DOMAIN admin, or local admin, I get the same error if I simply double-click to try to open any of them. This:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MDE Error.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	44405

So I set out on a permissions path to troubleshoot and there is NO WAY any kind of typical Windows permissions are the issue. Then I stumbled upon a bunch of things I don't understand about it being an "MDW" issue. Totally lost now. There IS an MDW file located at E:\GeoTMS\Data and it is 1.9MB in size with a date last modified of 8/15/2017. I double-clicked it, for fun, and get this:

Name:	MDW Error.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	44406

Again, I get that error no matter who I am logged in as. I then searched for all MDW files on the C Drive and see these guys in the results:

Name:	MDW Search Results on C.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	44407

I have NOT tried to open or do anything with those.

I'm sorry to be so long-winded, but I wanted to provide as much detail as possible. Can someone help me, please? It is very, very important that we get back into this, even if it's only for a short time. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Chris

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Well, you only have one MDW and two shortcuts.
    Very few of us are still using MDWs which were difficult to setup/maintain and were deprecated with Access 2007.
    The easiest solution will probably be to restore a copy of GEO.mdw from a backup taken when it was working
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Gicu is offline VIP

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Do you still have the
    FCE.mdb
    Filemg32.mdb
    FireFire.mdb

files available? Maybe on the old Windows Server 2003 box??

Hi guys,

Thanks for chiming in. ssnafu, yeas, I still have all 3 of those files and they remain in the same folder they've always been in. isladogs, I may be able to get a backup (not sure how, though), but seeing as it IS there, I'm not convinced that's necessary. BTW, I did find ONE other user who still has their old RDP shortcut to GEO on their desktop, and I visited her just to see if it still worked for her. Sure enough, she opens the RDP link, and it opens immediately, as well as the GEO session. Works fine. So since I'll assume that the MDW file is necessary for any user, it looks like it works fine.

Which leaves me with Gicu. Hi. So I've actually seen both of those articles, before coming here. That's the kind of thing I'm having trouble with. For example, WHERE do I create the shortcuts they're referring to in those articles? Given the paths I showed above, what do I actually do? I know that probably all sounds silly, but this that is what I want to try, I just don't know how. Seems I can't follow simple directions because those looks straightforward; and yet I'm lost.

Chris

Gicu is offline VIP
    Hi Chris,

Those shortcuts are the ones opening the main application file. In your case they would go into the RDP connection setup. Can you inspect the one that still works and see its properties. Open the RDP connection and look at the Programs tab.

Cheers,
    Vlad
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

Yeah, but when she had a Windows 7 PC, there WAS a Programs tab. Now she's on Windows 10 and when I look at it, that tab doesn't exist...??? Weird. But OK, let me check to see if I can create this shortcut on the XP (Good lord) machine this particular guy is using. That also has the programs tab.

I'm in!

Sorta...

There's a username and PW to the ACCESS/GEOTMS itself that I don't know and the user is gone already. Will try again Monday, but this is at least trying to open, so I think good things!

Gicu is offline VIP

Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer

Gicu is offline VIP
    You can actually view and edit the rdp file in any text editor:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com...win10itprovirt
    Cheers,
    Vlad
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer

Where I was headed was to make copies of the MDBs and to use them to remove the .MDW security.
    I would convert the MDB format to ACCDB format. (A2007 or later)

Also would need to know if the dB is split and if the BE is Access or SQL Server.

Gicu is offline VIP
    Hi Steve,
    I don't think they can do that, the OP mentioned in the initial post that those mde support a third party permiting application (GEO TMS) which probably has the interface written in a totally diferent language (VB,C,etc.). So changing the extensions would probably mess it up even more.
    https://www.accela.com/press-release...s-geotms-10-4/
    Cheers,
    Vlad
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Billerica Tech View Post
    <snip> Evidently, it's little more than an Access database. Best I can tell, it's "Office XP" or Access 2003. It's an old permitting system.<snip>
    My bad. I misunderstood ......Sounded to me it was an Access dB.

Thanks, Vlad.

I'll check back in with you guys Monday. But it's definitely looking good. Time to get this old system gone for good...

In the meantime...

Code:
    "Veni, Vidi, Velcro"
    Love It.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.