JonathanT is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007

Update a Cascading Combo Box

I’m trying to create a cascading combo box. I want the values in the Ratecbo to be determined by the value in the Properties Bo. When I set a value in the Propertiescbo” I get the correct values in my Ratecbo except for two properties. The only difference with those 2 properties is that the name of the property is 2 words instead of one. I get zero results in my “Ratecbo” for those 2 properties. I also have a Requery set up in the Event of the Propertiescbo to requery the Ratecbo. I changed the names of the 2 problem properties to a single name and got the correct values. How do I get the correct values when I spell the names correctly. Any ideas would be appreciated. I can't post the database because of proprietary information.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I think you'll have to post what the combos are based on (sql statements?). Not sure what 2 words means. Could be "this that" or "this, that" in which case you have a multi value field (not a great idea). You could also examine the row source property for each control - make a test query using their sql statements and look at them in design view for clues if your data is not in a multi value field. Whatever the criteria is, it doesn't work as you think.
    EDIT - you also have to consider that the 2nd combo is filtered based on the bound column of the 1st combo - if the combo is bound. You might be seeing "this" in the control but if that isn't the bound column, the 2nd combo is basing the list on whatever is in the bound column of the 1st combo.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows XP Access 2007
    The values in Propertiescbo are actually city names. Cities like Dallas, Houston that are one word produce the correct result in the Ratecbo. Cities like New York, St Louis produce no results on the Ratecbo. I'll see if I can create a cleansed copy of the file without the proprietary information and post the database

Gicu is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Can you show us the row source SQL for the Ratecbo?
    Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

Windows XP Access 2007

Tes2Database

I've attached a test Database without the proprietary information. The Ratecbo is actually called RatePlanscbo
    Test2.zip

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Look at the property values in Properties. Which of those 2 word cities are in PropRates.Properties?
    The values of Property.ID should be in PropRates.Property, not repeating the city names. Both Property and Properties are reserved words, which means you really shouldn't use them for object names.
    http://www.allenbrowne.com/AppIssueBadWord.html
    Last edited by Micron; 02-20-2021 at 09:19 PM. Reason: added info
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Hi Jonathan

In the attached I changed the names for each tables Primary Key

I added the Foreign Key "ProperyID" to the table "PropRates"

The cascade now works as it should
    Attached Files Attached Files
    You can PM me if you need further help.
    Good Reading https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/off...on-description

Windows 10 Access 2016
    PropRates does not need the field "Property". Denver is 2, Dallas is 1. No need for both.
    RateID PropertyID Property RatePlan
    1 2 Denver 15MARC
    2 1 Dallas $20GAS
    3 5 Omaha $25FB
    In the same vein, it's likely that there should be a table for rate plans and PropRates.RatePlan ought to be PropRates.RatePlanFK and its values should be the ID of tblRatePlans. Some normalization needed for this db I think.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks to all. I changed the name of any field that used the name "Property" to Cities. The names of the 2 problem cites in the PropRates table were spelled wrong. Can't believe I missed that. Everything is functioning as expected now.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.