louise is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Best way to arrange for others to use an Access database

Hello,

I have created two Access desktop databases for my non-profit, and now would like some advice on how to arrange for others to have access to these databases. This would be for some of them to read data (produce tables, etc), others to enter data, and to ensure that the whole thing can be taken over if I am not available.

We are about to get Office 365 and move our archived files to OneDrive. Can I share the db using OneDrive? We can provide Access to the computers of the relevant people, although this seems like a clumsy long-term solution since they are board members and there is turnover.

Is there something else we need? Any advice would be appreciated!
    Thanks!

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Split the database and put the data in a backend file on the network.
    Each user needs a copy of the frontend database on their own hard drive. Not on OneDrive, nor on the network.
    The users also need their own copy of Access or the Access runtime in order to run the application
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Thank you for your quick response!
    Is OneDrive what you mean by "the network"
    Could you explain what the "frontend database" is (if not the data). Is this the data-less forms and reports, able to call the data from the network?
    And, what is "Access runtime" as opposed to the Access software?

Thanks!

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    No. I meant a local area network where users are physically connected to it using a wired (ethernet) connection

Users should never run Access files stored on any connection that may be subject to interruption. So that excludes using anything like OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox.
    Users should also NEVER run Access databases using a WiFi connection for the same reason

This article gives more background: https://www.devhut.net/2016/09/24/ac...drive-dropbox/
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

kd2017 is offline Well, I tried at least.
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    To add to that, where wifi is the only option then look into accessing the front end through a remote desktop connection.

If I am interpreting these comments and the related article correctly, you are saying that
    there is no way for unconnected, separate non-profit board members (in my case) to generate reports and lists
    for themselves with the most recent data, even if they have a connection to our organization's OneDrive and the Access software on their computers (but not the database).

A remote desktop connection doesn't seem practical since we are talking about a dozen people having a connection to one person's personal computer.

Is this correct?

Thank you for your help and any further advice! This is so helpful.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    A remote desktop connection doesn't seem practical since we are talking about a dozen people having a connection to one person's personal computer.

Is this correct?
    No, you use a terminal server rather than onedrive. It is a different animal. Your problem will probably be budget since it isn't free but each user can share data aka onedrive and users can also use access to connect to an access backend on the server. Other benefits, you don't have to worry about using wifi, performance will be good, you can connect from anywhere and even from different operating systems such as apple

Sounds like someone has made a decision without considering or understanding all the implications.

Thank you for all this helpful information. I can see we have some more thinking to do!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.