d2ws3b is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

Need Help with a query for differences in meter reading

I am working on a desk-side Access Application that is connected to a SharePoint List that contains Fueling records for a vehicle fleet.

Every record is uniquely identified with a no-duplicates indexed primary key record number [tbl_FuelRecs].[ID]
    Every record contains a unique indexed vehicle identification number [tbl_FuelRecs].[PlateID]
    Every record contains a numeric entry to capture the vehicle's odometer reading [tbl_FuelRecs].[ODORead]
    Every record is time-datestamped at entry via [tbl_FuelRecs].[Created]
    Every record is time-datestamped at save via [tbl_FuelRecs].[Modified]
    ... and a couple other odds and ends that don't pertain to the question.

Every time someone enters a new fuel record they provide the PlateID and the ODORead.

I'm trying to write a DMax query to find the MOST recent PREVIOUS fueling record for that vehicle and return the [ID] of that previous record...

Here's what I'm trying in a single-table (no inner joins, just the single table) Access LookUp Query against [tbl_FuelRecs] where my columns are:
    [ID], [PlateID], [ODORead], [LastFuelID: DMax("ID","tbl_FuelRecs","ID<"&[ID] AND "PlateID="&[PlateID])]

It is doesn't work, [LastFuelID] returns an error.

Any ideas or pointers to get me moving in the right direction?

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Pointer #1 - always provide the error number and message. It provides clues. Note: I hate looking up the message for a posted number (there are thousands of them).
    #2 I believe this is what you want (your situation seems to be a classic example)
    http://allenbrowne.com/subquery-01.html
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Following on from Micron's reply, this specific link is exactly what you want: http://allenbrowne.com/subquery-01.html#AnotherRecord
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    remove the square brackets - they are not required as you do not have spaces or non alphanumeric characters in your field names. And you have a mixup in your use of quotes

LastFuelID: DMax("ID","tbl_FuelRecs","ID<" & [ID] & " AND PlateID=" & [PlateID])

ID may not be appropriate. Assuming it is an autonumber it guarantees to be unique, but not necessarily consecutive and records may be entered in the wrong order. You could use a timestamp - but that also might not be relevant if records are entered late. Ideally you need a date field which identifies the 'when' of the record - refuel date, reading date, whatever. Alternatively perhaps the previous max odometer reading would do

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.