AndyRob1973 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Help with my schema

Hello all,

Before i start I have posted this as part of an existing thread in the General Access forum. Apologies if this is not allowed.

I’m going round in circles trying to design a schema to allow me to build a database for a series of medical studies.

For each study I will receive an excel table like the two examples below (simplified version of a real one). For now I’m not thinking about how I will import it into Access but will do once I’ve got the Access principle sorted. I know that I will have to split the tables into normal form.

Every patient who is recruited to each study WILL attend all the appointment (cycles) and all the specified Activities that pertain (ie the Y’s) to that appointment (the ‘Y’s will be represented in tbl_Patient_study_appointment_activity). Each study could have a different number of appointments and activities.

For example, every patient who is recruited to the Diabetes study will have all 7 appointments (cycles) and at appointment 3 will undergo ‘Medical History’ and ‘ECOG Status’.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Excel tables.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	44238

Each patient could be on more than one study.
    I have used a variety of junction tables to achieve what I think does the job for me, although I do wonder if I am over complicating it. Could anyone help or give feedback? (I have been reading up about ternary relationships but don’t fully understand how they work. Maybe these could work?)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	schema.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	44239

Once I am satisfied that this schema does will work. I need to find a way of when I add a patient to a study, that they inherit the pre-determined appointments and activities.

Am I right in saying that this would be a series of append queries? Or could I use a form which when I add a patient to a study they automatically get populated in the ‘tbl_Patient_Study_Appointment’ and ‘tbl_Patient_Study_Appointment_Activity’

Once I’ve done that I need to work out how I will upload a new study and schedule into the database.

If anyone could help I would be most grateful. I know there are some gapping holes in my understanding of Access.

Thank you.
    Last edited by AndyRob1973; 02-14-2021 at 10:43 AM.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Andy,

I don't think there is a need for a new thread. If your question/post relates to an ongoing issue, it may be advantageous to keep all comments/responses/details in the same, continuing thread.
    As for your relationships, I find it easier to read and communicate when there are minimum crossed lines.

See stump the model for vetting your tables and relationships.

You may also try Google/youtube with MS Access Appointment database example.
    Last edited by orange; 02-14-2021 at 12:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.