Abacus1234 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013 32bit

Newly installed Access 2019 - Existing Access database ok on desktop, but not c drive

I have a problem which may be to do with the installation of Access 2019. An access database was working fine on the desktop, but when placed in a folder with another folder called Docs, which it needs for mailmerged documents, it does not find the document.

Does anyone have experience with folders that sometimes you have to create a new empty folder to put contents in.

Or, if access 2019 was just installed could the connection to word need refreshing?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Brenda

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    it does not find the document.
    What does not find "the document", the database doesn't find the document? What is the document, a Word file? Another database that it was linked to?
    Your post isn't clear, at least not to me.
    Perhaps code won't run because the new db location isn't a Trusted Location?
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Thanks for response. The access database which worked for all its Access related forms, reports etc. but the VBA code I use to create the mailmerged documents brough up a blank word screen.

Good reminder on trusted location, but do we still have to do that in 2019?

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Is the folder structure the same for the two locations (the old "working" one vs the new "not working" one)? The mail-merge code might use absolute paths (C:\User....\Desktop\Docs\YourWordDocumentForMailM erge.docx) or relative paths (CurrentProject.Path & "" & "Docs\YourWordDocumentForMailMerge.docx") so you have to review the code to see where it errors.

Cheers,
    Vlad
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Yes, you still have to worry about trusted locations, so either that or your coded paths are incorrect - if you have any. Your code is probably missing a check for this sort of thing as well. If it fails to create/connect with a document, it should be trapping that, assuming it is even running because of TL issues.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

Thanks I will double check but this database gets installed on every version of Access and Windows so I think it's not hard-coded.

Are there Pros and Cons to putting the folder, containing database and docs folder on the desktop or something like the C drive? Apart from backups and not deleting without meaning to?

Gicu is offline VIP
    The desktop location is user-specific, so if you link files using the absolute path they will break for a different user, the C:\MyDb type folders are user independant so they work for all.

Cheers,
    Vlad
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer

Windows 10 Access 2016
    If you are sharing the database, in the least it should be split with the be (back end) with the tables on a network server that every user has access to (hard wired, NOT wifi), and each user has a copy of the fe db with the forms, reports and queries. A connection between the user fe and the be (IMO) should be linked via UNC path to avoid issues where one user's be mapping is G: and another user's mapping is H: and that sort of thing. AFAIK, any user Desktop is trusted so that should never be an issue. Such a setup standardizes things, and if a user copies the db to another location it might not work, in which case you slap them with a wet noodle and say "don't do that". You can also write startup code to ensure they cannot use a database that they have moved from the desktop when it is supposed to be connected to the be from the desktop.

It doesn't sound to me like your db is split.
    Last edited by Micron; 02-13-2021 at 10:07 AM.

Gicu is offline VIP
    All great info and definitely recommend splitting the db if shared. I think I might have improperly used the term "link" in my previous post, I was not referring to an Access back-end, what I meant was storing absolute paths to existing files (such as Word documents used for mail-merge) from a desktop pocation might cause problems as the desktop path is user specific. For example when you set up a Word mail-merge document most times the document itself will store the path to the data source for the merge (which will be your Access front-end).

Cheers,
    Vlad
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer

Thanks again to everyone. I appreciate the good advice and new facts for me to think about. It has helped a great deal,

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.