lefty2cox is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

Form Wizard

I was putting together a form based on a table and wanted a subform based on a related table. The form wizard creating a form with a subform but the subform appears to be just a view of the table. In other words, it created a from but no subform in the objects list. And the control source for the subform in the properties is "table.tblEquipment". "Almost like it just put a window to the table on the form. Is this bad practice? After a week of deep diving, I've learned other ways and am trying to figure out if I should redo this one a better way. I'm learning that the wizard will often dish out black magic.

Thanks.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I rarely use form wizards so not sure what you're describing with your terms. If the subform looks like a table, then you created one with a datasheet view, which is probably easy to modify to something else if that's what you want. However, if you based either form on a table, then sure it looks like what's in the table, especially if it's a datasheet. I don't build forms on tables either as a rule - you get all the fields and all the records unless you start applying filters to the form. If you're going to do that, might as well use a query instead I say. Besides, not always do you want every field from a domain on a form or report.

but no subform in the objects list
    That I don't understand. Any form created should appear in the nav pane unless you make it hidden (can't even say if you can do that with forms because it wouldn't make sense). Another drawback to a wizard is the crappy names Access gives to objects. Often a control and a domain/table field get the same name, which can cause issues although it's rare I guess.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

davegri is online now Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016

clarif

Do this. Use the wizard to create a form for the table that represents the subform. Give it a name including "subform" for convenience. Save and close.
    Load the main form in design view and delete the subform that the wizard included, select it and press DEL.
    NOw, drag the subform you created above from the nav pane onto the place where the wizard subform was on the main form.
    Good to go.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Almost like it just put a window to the table on the form. Is this bad practice?
    yes - users should never interact directly with a table or query.

And the control source for the subform in the properties is "table.tblEquipment"
    yes - you are looking directly at the table

lefty2cox is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016
    Thank you. I'll redesign then.

apr pillai is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty2cox View Post
    Thank you. I'll redesign then.
    You may design your Main Form with this Custom Form Wizard. You have the option to select only the required fields for the Form from Source Query/Table.

https://www.msaccesstips.com/2008/12...rm-wizard.html

davegri is online now Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by apr pillai View Post
    You may design your Main Form with this Custom Form Wizard. You have the option to select only the required fields for the Form from Source Query/Table.

https://www.msaccesstips.com/2008/12...rm-wizard.html
    Very nice. Still needs tweaking, but beats the clumsy form generated by the Access wizard, plus easier to tweak.
    You get a star.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.